*Picture courtesy of Pixabay*
So earlier this week I had a psychotic episode.
I've talked about my mental health problems before but I thought this would be a good time to revisit that subject. I think that talking about it, and removing the stigma tied to mental health is a good way for people to feel comfortable to seek help when they need it.
I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, PTSD, agoraphobia, Schizoaffective disorder and schizotypal personality disorder. If you look up any of these that you don't know, it will give you a better understanding of what I deal with. I don't have many psychotic episodes but they do happen.
I hear voices/whispering and have hallucinations most days. But I usually know that they aren't real and I can ignore them. Yes, I'm taking an anti-psychotic medication but it's a low dose because I still want to be able to function during the day. But it does help.
On Sunday I started hearing really loud voices. There were 2 of them at first. One was a menacing man's voice cackling at me telling me that he was a demon and was going to possess my mind and body and there was nothing I could do to stop him.
My daughter was sleeping on the couch and I was moving around the living room trying to figure out what was possessed. My daughter woke up and asked me what was wrong. Then a 3rd voice emerged and I thought I could hear my daughter's thoughts.
The other loud voice was a woman who was telling me that I needed to find the possessed object and destroy it. I could hear them clearly and they didn't stop shouting at me. I searched for the possessed object and the closer I got to my bedroom the louder the voices got. I picked up a few books on my bookcase and listened but they weren't the possessed object. It wasn't until I found a different book and picked it up that the female voice started screaming for me to destroy it. I had to light it on fire and burn it until I saw the blue flames, she told me. This was my grandsons book, I don't even remember seeing it on my bookshelf before this. So I picked up the book and my matches and took it to the sink where I was going to burn it.
My daughter took the book and matches away from me and wouldn't give them back, all the while she was texting a neighbor to come over. The neighbor also has some mental health problems and she works with people with disabilities, so she knew what I was going through, kinda.
I yelled at my daughter and told her that I could hear her thoughts and that I knew she wanted to put a whole stick of butter in the rice in order to get my gratitude journal. But I was mad because I said there was no reason to waste that much butter in order to take my gratitude journal. *I don't have a gratitude journal* My thoughts were clearly all over the place.
My daughter told me I should go get some fresh air and take the dog for a walk. She didn't know what to do. So I did. But as we came home, I saw blue flames sprouting from Falcor's paws so I picked him up and brought him inside. I was going to wash his feet off so he wouldn't burn but my daughter and neighbor told me the flames were gone and he was ok.
My neighbor took the book and told me that she would light it on fire for me in her bbq outside so the demon would be expelled. That calmed down the female's voice a little. But then I saw blue flames through the walls of my apartment and told my daughter that it was so hot because there were blue flames in the walls and we had to destroy the book right away. My neighbor took the book out to her bbq and burned the book, I went outside to make sure and as she was lighting it on fire, she turned it over to get the rest of the pages. Right on the back cover was what looked like to me a ghost with blue flames. It was a R.L. Stine Goosebumps book. I'm guessing it was this image.
Looks like a blue flame ghost to me. 🤣🤣🤣👻👻And since the blue flames were burned everything was ok again.
I calmed down once the book was destroyed and the voices started to go away. But it took about 3 hours before I realized that what I had been hearing and seeing wasn't actually real.


How scary. And you remember all of this? I'm sorry you went through that. I'm glad that you had people around you to help calm you down.
ReplyDeleteYes, I remember it all after it happens.
DeleteBless you. May your troubles ease and fade away
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteOh gosh, how frightening that is Mary. If the voice/s had told you to kill something you wouldn't have known any different. I'm glad all turned out well in the end. Take care.
ReplyDeleteThankfully, nothing like that has happened.
DeleteThat is very scary. That the voices were evil in nature is even more frightening.
ReplyDeleteYes it is.
DeleteI am so sorry you have to go through these episodes. I've never known anyone who does. But now this gives me a little bit of insight.
ReplyDeleteThank you. I'm glad my sharing can bring some of this to light for people.
DeleteThat was wild. So if the voices are loud, you can’t tell yourself that they aren’t real, but you can if they are not too demanding?
ReplyDeleteIt's not just when they're loud. Sometimes I have no control over my brain and can't tell it's not real.
DeleteWow, that must have been scary for everyone involved! I'm glad the incident ended well and things are back in order now!
ReplyDeleteI usually only have around one episode a year thankfully.
DeleteThat is a terrifying experience and I'm so sorry you're subject to these episodes. Are there other medications you could try that might be of more help?
ReplyDeleteOver the last 20 years, I've tried so many medications. The one I'm on now, has the least side effects and I can still function during the days.
DeleteYour fear and emotions were real even if the voices weren't. I'm learning about such things, too, since my mom's dementia has her experiencing delusions and things that scare her.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the courage to share your experience to help others, Mary.
I'm sorry that your mom is going through that.
DeleteVery disturbing. But it's valuable to have your description of it. I've heard of psychotic episodes but didn't really know what they were.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that this helped you understand what a psychotic episode might look like for someone.
DeleteVery sorry to read this.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteThanks for sharing, it is educational. All the best.
ReplyDeleteThank you.
DeleteThanks for sharing this Mary. The more we talk about these things, the better for us all to understand what people with mental health issues go through. I'm sorry you deal with this but reaching out can also help others going through the same thing, or maybe they know of someone who is.
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree. I can only hope that this helps someone who is struggling.
DeleteMary you are very brave to share this with us. Most people have no idea what mental health issues can escalate too. Glad you are better.
ReplyDeleteThank you. That's one of the reasons I share some mental health stories and things that happen. Hopefully it will help people understand what it can be like.
DeleteI don't know if I've ever read a description of what a psychotic episode looks like. I'd imagine it's different for different people, too. You're a very strong person to share this.
ReplyDeleteEach time it's different for me so I would imagine it's different for each person as well. Thank you, I appreciate that.
DeleteDo you think the books you read can influence such psychotic episodes?
ReplyDeleteThat's interesting that you would ask that. I haven't seen that happen unless I'm reading Horror, then the hallucinations get worse. Which is why I don't read it much anymore. Sometimes when I watch a Horror movie the hallucinations will be worse for a while. But I don't think I've ever had a psychotic episode from a book or movie.
DeleteDear Mary, you are such a lovely person! And I appreciate you sharing your life and experiences! I am so sorry that you had this experience, dear friend. My heart goes out to you! I think you are brave and also kind, and honest, to share this experience with others! You may help others who have gone through this experience...or who are going through this.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I am hoping it does help someone. But helping people understand this is good too.
DeleteThanks for sharing that and I hope it's a good long while before you have another one.
ReplyDeleteI hope so too.
DeleteHow scary for you! I'm glad you made it through the episode all right. It is such a hard thing to wrestle with. I'm glad you felt up to sharing the experience, because that's not an easy thing to do and more awareness is needed.
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping that it helps someone. Either someone dealing with it or someone who knows another person dealing with something similar.
DeleteI had two relatives with schizophrenia, both now deceased., one on my mother's side and one on my father's side One, an aunt, was a big part of my early childhood (when she had good periods she was kind and patient) and one I only met once but I have a good relationship with his younger brother, Thank you for sharing this publicly. It's hard to have to undergo these episodes and hard for those not so affected to understand. The stigma of mental illness has to end! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteI wholeheartedly agree about the stigma. I'm sorry they suffered with it too.
DeleteA very scary description of your episode. I'm glad you shared it so others can read and get a better understanding of what it involves. Take care, Mary and thanks again for the insight.
ReplyDeleteYou're very welcome.
DeleteI’m really sorry. Are they going to adjust your meds? I had something similar occur when I was in Arizona and ate a thc gummy. But didn’t hear voices or see things
ReplyDeleteI would have been so terrified! Even when you're able to recognize what it is, I can't imagine not being able to stop this. I'm glad you were okay and I agree that sharing these things bring so much awareness.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI'd have been very scared! I do believe in evil spirits and that they can possess objects, so I'm not sure I'd be able to distinguish an episode from a real-life possession. I'd want the book burned, too. Thank you for sharing what you've had to contend with! I'm happy you're feeling better!
ReplyDeleteMary, thank you for being so open about such a frightening experience. It takes courage to share something so personal, and I’m glad you had your daughter and neighbor there to support you. Your honesty helps others understand what living with psychosis can really feel like.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds very scary to deal with. I think it's very courageous of you to share this and help diminish the stigma on mental health. I am glad you daughter and neighbor were there to help you.
ReplyDelete