All those yellow things you see sticking to the trunk of this tree are cicada skins. They crawl out of the dirt around the tree, crawl up the tree, attach themselves, molt, shed their old skin, revealing their adult body and fly away.
It's been cloudy this week.
These clouds looked like they were boiling they were moving and changing shapes so fast.
Friday morning sunrise.
Looking in a different direction on Saturday morning during sunrise.
I found this little beetle in my apartment Saturday, I picked him up, got a picture and took him outside.
How was your week?








We don't have cicadas here but we came across them in Majorca last year. There was such a funny buzzing noise in the trees and it turned out it was cicadas making it.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me of the Tom Waits’ song Army Ants
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos, Mary. I know cicadas well, we have them here in Montreal. There was one on my balcony window I took a picture of and will be sharing on an upcoming blog post.
ReplyDeleteOur pine trees will look the same way this month as that is when our cicadas shed their shells.
ReplyDeleteMary, I love how you notice the little things -- from cicada shells to sunrise skies to a tiny beetle visitor. Nature really does put on a show when we slow down to look.
ReplyDeletewe hear the cicadas all the time but I have never seen so many skins on a tree before, that is really cool!
ReplyDeleteAmazing photos. Especially the tree.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
My week was hot! A small break in the heat has arrived now, which is definitely welcome. Love your cloud pics!
ReplyDeleteLinda says we have cicadas here. I am unfamiliar. I didn’t know that. Nice Saturday sunrise.
ReplyDeleteJudging by the photo, that is a very old tree, could be an Ent even!
ReplyDeleteThe cicadas are really singing around here. The tree in the back corner of my yard is where I find some cicada husks each year.
ReplyDeleteFascinating cloud formations and that is an exquisite sunrise.
We get a lot of cicadas in our backyard. Their molted skin can be a little scary at time! 🤣
ReplyDeleteSaturday morn photo looked like a movie backdrop where they used artificial lighting. And the cicadas are loud here, but rarely do I find their shells.
ReplyDeleteLovely sky shots! I love skies. My son informed me a few years ago that Florida is the land of amazing sunsets, but I'll add that it's the lightning capital of the world, and thus we get some very interesting views.
ReplyDeleteSending happy thoughts, cheese, and sunshine your way!
I feel like I have seen those yellow things but was unaware of what they were.
ReplyDeleteThat's a lot of cicada skins!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of the cicada!
ReplyDeleteI never knew about Cicada's shedding skin!
ReplyDeleteLovely photos, good you put the beetle outside.
ReplyDeleteI do like your sky photographs.
ReplyDeleteI was shopping today and our sky was getting darker and darker, rain was coming I thought!
It did, the skies opened heavily as I came out of the supermarket ... I did get rather wet!!!
I was thankful to see the rain though because many parts of the UK have experienced drought conditions this summer!
All the best Jan
We have had some cicadas here too. That tree looks like it came from the enchanted forest!
ReplyDeleteWe get cicadas, but not so many that I've never seen their skins like that. And nice sky photos. Cloud watching is fun. I wonder how many people do that now.
ReplyDeleteThese are great pictures!
ReplyDeleteGreat pics! We have cicadas in Indiana as well, though I don't think I've had any in my yard in a very long time.
ReplyDeleteThose cicadas are amazing. We have been hearing them a lot lately, fascinating sound. I don't see as many as you have but our son seems to have the same amount on his trees. He lives a few mile saway. Your cloud photos are stunning! That's a cute little beetle, I'm happy you let him outside. I do the same to the little critters we find around here.
ReplyDeleteYour sky photos this week are stunning, Mary! The drama of those fast-moving clouds and the gorgeous sunrise really made for great pictures. Glad you caught them, and nice job on the gentle beetle rescue!🫶
ReplyDeleteDidn't know about the cicada skins, how interesting. The clouds are indeed gorgeous as those colours in the sky.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad we have another 7 years till the next cicada invasion here.
ReplyDeleteWe had wicked storms around here yesterday and I’ve been seeing the most amazing sky photos all over social media.
ReplyDeleteThat’s interesting about the cicadas. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that.