This is a weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that have gone on in and around my apartment complex and in my neighborhood in the past 27 years that I've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 27 years.
I was walking Falcor around 10PM and when I started to walk back into my courtyard, I stopped because there were a couple dozen Palmetto bugs/water beetles. Not sure what to call them. I'm pretty sure they were Palmetto bugs because they had wings. Let the video play a few seconds and you'll see a few of them. My camera didn't pick up just how many of them were crawling around the bottom of the bushes in the shaded areas. But then Falcor saw them when they came out from under the bush. They were crawling up the walls, fighting on the sidewalk. There were so many!
---
And then I have a video of Screamer Lady. I've talked about her before. She is not homeless, she lives on my street and has been here for probably as long as I have. She used to be the neighborhood hooker. Now though, she walks around the neighborhood screaming things all hours of the day and night. She was also changing her shorts there in the parking lot. She was standing around in her underwear. I think she has some mental problems but it's also the drugs.
The high this week was 97F/36C
The low this week was 80F/26C
So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

Love the raw honest_"Apartment Hell" is the perfect name for it! 27 years of material means you could probably fill a multi-volume encyclopedia at this point.
ReplyDeletePalmetto bugs fighting on the sidewalk sounds like an actual nightmare, but Falcor’s reaction must have been hilarious. As for Screamer Lady... wow, living next to that level of chaos definitely requires a lot of patience (and maybe some earplugs). Stay cool in that 97° heat, and can't wait for post #437!
Screamer lady either has mental problems or is faking it to intimidate people. The palmetto bugs are better neighbors.
ReplyDeleteNice walk except for the bugs.
ReplyDeleteI am not sure if my head could take the screamer lady. Enjoy your day!
Funny thing about those giant beetles is when we got married in Las vegas, we went to a Dean Martin show. Which I'm so glad I saw him. The building we were in was filled with those bugs, it was incredible. He had to keep swiping at them while he was trying to sing. In your second video I enjoyed being on the back side of the leash and watching Falcor trotting along. I see your temperatures have dropped a couple degrees.
ReplyDeleteSouth Carolina has Palmetto bugs - I didn't think they got that far west. And despite the name, they are just cockroaches with wings.
ReplyDeleteInteresting bugs there in the videos Mary.
ReplyDeleteStrange screamer lady...lol
je viens te souhaite une bonne apres midi bisous
ReplyDeleteHi, Mary!
ReplyDeleteI see that your weekly high temp was only 97 degrees. That's a brutal cold snap compared to the 110 you reported last week. When Mrs. Shady and I lived in Florida, we often contended with those Palmetto bugs. Sometimes they would get in the house and fly right at your face. On several occasions, the giant bugs landed in Mrs. Shady's hair. If that had been my Toto on the leash, she would have scooped up one or two into her mouth and started chewing before I could even react. The screamer lady is an unfortunate soul. Keep in mind that a random woman was stabbed to death in Times Square the other day, I urge you to be extra careful when walking Falcor anywhere near her. You never know. It was fun connecting with you again this month. See you at the start of October when I offer more H-ween scares at Shady's Place.
She screams but she is not a scream (ie great fun).
ReplyDeleteI didn't watch the bug video because I'm too repulsed by them - especially cockroaches. If I had seen a bunch of them in the street (especially flying ones) I would have changed course LOL.
ReplyDeleteThe screaming lady must be a nightmare, especially at night...just what you needed, on top of everything else.