I've been thinking of writing an autobiography or memoir, but it just never comes together for me, but I figured if I write one story at a time and post it on my blog maybe once a month, I can do that. Maybe one day I'll pull all the stories together and put them in a book but for now I'll just share some stories with you about my childhood and into adulthood. Some of the stories will be happy, some sad and some horrific because that was my childhood. But they will all be real, things that actually happened. If it seems like something that people enjoy reading maybe, I'll keep it going. These stories will not be in any kind of order; I'll just write them as they come to me.
Driving with Cousin Johnny and my Mom
When I was 18 my cousin Johnny came over in his truck and picked my mom and I up. But he and my mom were both drunk so he told me I was driving. The only problem with that was, I didn't know how to drive. I didn't have my license or even a learner's permit. But he said he'd help me.
When I was 18 my cousin Johnny came over in his truck and picked my mom and I up. But he and my mom were both drunk so he told me I was driving. The only problem with that was, I didn't know how to drive. I didn't have my license or even a learner's permit. But he said he'd help me.
So all three of us piled into the front seat of his big pickup truck and away we went. It was almost midnight and after driving around the city streets he told me I was ready to get on the freeway. I wasn't ready. I was not ready.
He kept telling me to push down on the accelerator and go faster with traffic. I didn't want to go faster but I did. I was so scared that I was going to crash and kill all of us but we got to where we were going and we got back home a couple of hours later. Here in Las Vegas, things are open 24/7 for a lot of places. He took us out to eat that night at a restaurant. Of course they had more beer and got drunker so I had to drive home on the freeway again. I'm just glad we didn't get pulled over or crash. He told me later that night that I did really good. So there's that, I guess.
I didn't get my drivers license until I was 24. My brother tried to teach me how to drive in his truck but it was a stick shift and that didn't go well. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 He said I scared him.
Ken, my late husband was the one to teach me to drive well and when I went to take the written and driving test, I only had a 2-point deduction for missing one question wrong and then another for not signaling when I pulled into the parking spot at the end of the test.
Links to past stories
2023
2024

It sounds like that trip left you with a bit of post-traumatic stress.
ReplyDeleteThat was an insane thing to do. Driving isn't just a matter of working the car controls. You have to know the rules and customs that govern behavior in traffic. He could easily have gotten all three of you killed, and it would have been his fault.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine having adults in my life, who were supposed to be in charge of me, tell me to do things that were dangerous and/or against the law. I might have felt like my parents and grandparents were old-fashioned sometimes, but they were a rock for me when I was young.
ReplyDeleteIt is remarkable that nothing bad happened while you were having your first drive. That's probably not the best way to get experience but you survived it. And you got the family home safely,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your story. It sounds very traumatic and I'm sorry. But although I am new to your blog and have not read your other stories, I'm sure they reveal more difficult times.
ReplyDeleteThat must have been a bit scary driving on the freeway at 18 and never driven before, but you did well. You are lucky nothing unforeseen happened at that time. Now all is well.
ReplyDeleteGood grief, the trauma you endured in your life. It's a miracle you decided to ever get your license.
ReplyDeleteThat's a rough way to learn how to drive. Glad you all survived.
ReplyDeleteIt's a good story. I have one that I don't know if I have ever told.
ReplyDeleteThat’s terrifying! I’m so glad nothing happened. Wow 😮
ReplyDeleteI can relate to your brother trying to teach you to drive a stick. My brother tried to teach me, and it did NOT go well either. My husband finally taught me a few years later too. And that sounds like a scary night. At least the driving part does. Happy Friday.
ReplyDeleteI am always amazed at your bravery in sharing the horrible things that have happened to you.
ReplyDeleteMy parents bought a VW bus when I turned 16. And I had to learn to drive stick to take my test. Unfortunately I could not parallel park the darn thing which was required in our state to get a license. Drivers Ed was a class in school in those days. After I failed parking the bus twice (and you only got 3 chances), the instructor lent me his car and put soap marks on the windows so I could line up the poles. And that explains a lot about my driving to this day.
ReplyDeletePS I have not driven stick since I got my license in 1972. I used my babysitting and waitress money to put a down payment on a used pinto with an automatic transmission.
Bonjour
ReplyDeleteJe te souhaite une excellente fin de journée
Ainsi qu'une bonne soirée*❤️Gros bisous
What an incredible—and completely terrifying—memory, Mary! I think doing your memoir one post at a time on the blog is a brilliant approach. Don't worry about chronological order; just let the memories flow naturally.
ReplyDeleteHaving your very first driving lesson be a late-night Vegas freeway run while playing designated driver for your mom and cousin is nuts! The fact that you got everyone home in one piece proves you were a natural under pressure.
So glad Ken was able to give you proper lessons later on.