Tuesday, October 06, 2026
Book Review: Reluctant Guardian by Elisha Bugg
Book Description
He’s a Guardian, sworn to protect the creatures of lore. She’s a human who can’t remember her past.
WEAK. BROKEN. ROGUE.
That’s how Thane Marrok, wolf shifter, and soldier in the elite organization known as The Guardians, sees himself - forced to live a lonely and tortured existence after witnessing the death of his family at the hands of humans.
When he's forced to return to the place where all his nightmares began, he comes face to face with an unfamiliar human female who triggers the wolf’s deepest, darkest desires.
Can Thane put his past behind him and be the protector, and lover, that Anya needs? Or will he succumb to his hatred of her kind, and lose the woman meant to be his for eternity?
HUNTED. GUARDED. BETRAYED.
Anya Shaw leads a quiet, uneventful existence until the appearance of a black wolf turns her life upside down. Now she's involved in a world she never knew existed, hunted for reasons she doesn't understand, and guarded by a man she never expected.
Can she unlock the secrets of her past, and her heart, in time to tame the wolf and save Thane from himself? Or will the hunters get there first, destroying any hope they have left?
My Review
This is the first book I've read in the Otherworld Guardians series, and I went in not knowing much about it - but I ended up really enjoying the ride.
Anya is thrown into the supernatural world fast, and I liked that she wasn’t instantly perfect or powerful. She’s confused, scared, and honestly just trying to survive, which made her feel real. Thane, her reluctant guardian, is exactly what the title promises: grumpy, stubborn, protective, and absolutely determined to pretend he doesn’t care. Spoiler: he cares. A lot.
The dynamic between them is one of my favorite parts of the book. Thane tries so hard to keep his distance, but every time danger shows up, he’s right there shielding her with that “I don’t want to be here but I absolutely do” energy. Anya pushes back, questions everything, and refuses to be treated like a fragile doll. Their back‑and‑forth felt natural and gave the story some great tension.
There’s a good amount of action in this book- attacks, chases, secrets being revealed, and it kept me engaged the whole time. The worldbuilding is interesting, too. We get glimpses of the supernatural hierarchy, the guardian system, and hints about Anya’s true nature. I do wish a few things had been explained a little more clearly, but I still liked the story.
The romance is definitely a slow burn. There’s attraction, there’s tension, but nothing feels rushed. Thane is the classic “I’m dangerous, stay away from me” hero, and Anya is the “I’m not listening to that” heroine. It works.
My only real complaint is that the ending felt a little abrupt - not a full cliffhanger, but definitely a setup for book two. Still, I liked the characters enough that I want to keep going with the series.
I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.