- apple is made of 25% air, that is why they float.
- apples, onions, and potatoes all have the same taste? Try the test: Pinch your nose and take a bite out of each.
- avocado has the highest protein and oil content of all fruits, but most of this is the healthier unsaturated type.
- cabbage is 91% water.
- carrots were originally purple in colour, changing in the 17th Century to orange with newer varieties.
- celery requires more calories to eat and digest than it contains.
- cherries are a member of the rose family.
- corn always has an even number of ears.
- corn makes up about 8% of the weight in a box of corn flakes.
- eggplants are actually fruits, and classified botanically as berries.
- honey is the only edible food for humans that will never go bad.
- lemons contain more sugar than strawberries.
- orange does not rhyme with any other word.
- peanuts are legumes and not a tree nut.
- peanuts are one of the ingredients in dynamite.
- pear is a fruit that ripens from the inside out.
- strawberries are the only fruit which has its seeds on its outer skin.
Sunday, May 22, 2011
Fun food facts:
Posted by Mary Kirkland at 8:45 AM