Monday, December 10, 2012

Pressure Cooker

Pressure Cooker lid. It has a safety valve and emergency release valve. 

I bought a large pressure cooker so I can cook even really big roasts. 

I bought a pressure cooker a while back because I watch Iron Chef America and see them using pressure cookers on that show all the time. I figured I could buy those tough, cheap, hard to cook and get done and still be able to chew it roasts-done and able to eat. I was right. I bought a couple of those cheap as hell and tough to chew when cooked chuck roasts and put those suckers in the pressure cooker for 45 minutes.

To the pressure cooker pot I added:
1 cup of chunky salsa
salt and pepper
4 carrots, cut in half
1/2 yellow onion cut into large pieces
1 tsp liquid smoke
3 cups water

Cook on med/high for 45 minutes so that the pressure cooker steam valve is making a little noise and slightly swaying back and forth. Take off of burner and let sit for 15 minutes until safety valve releases and you can open the lid. I served mine over steamed rice.

I know some people are still scared to buy a pressure cooker because of the horror stories they've heard from their mothers and grandmothers. But these new pressure cookers are not going to blow up on you. They have several safety features built in and an emergency release valve. I love mine.

6 comments:

  1. I've never used a pressure cooker, mainly because I've heard horror stories. Do you just cook meat in them or can you cook other things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so safe to use now. Mine came with a small recipe booklet but I looked online and there are lots of recipes for cooking things other than meat. Right now I've just cooked meat and vegetables and stews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a pressure cooker, but now I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't use ours often enough but it definitely does tenderize meat!

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.