Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Sister Wives and Other Alternative Lifestyles

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret about me... I watch Sister Wives and I like it. I starting watching it last year. I was flipping through the channels and landed on Sister Wives and started watching it with a preconceived notion about what it was going to be like...and I was wrong. 

I did exactly what I don't like others doing, I had made up my mind that these women were brain washed and that their husband was some sort of abusive control freak. 

I'm a pretty open person, I don't have a problem with anyone's lifestyle as long as everyone involved wants to be there participating. That includes gay, lesbian, D/s, vegans, vegetarians, polygamist, transgender, furries, S&M, BDSM, swingers, open relationships, and everything in between. 

I think I had a preconceived notion of what a plural marriage was because of the bad things we see on tv about the occult like sect of LDS Mormons that live in Utah and now here in Las Vegas. I've seen the women from those occult like sects in Walmart a few times in the past. They all dress alike, have their hair done the same and don't talk to anyone even to say, hello. 

After watching the Sister Wives tv show I saw that this family isn't at all like what we've seen in the news. This taught me a lesson...don't go into a situation thinking that you already have all the answers or with preconceived notions of what things are going to be like and that's true of all sorts of life situations. 

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this show, but hubby and I watched a piece on 60 minutes last night about an English guy and his 6 wives. They had lots of children (22, I think) and had to move to Crete where it was cheaper to live. They seemed very happy and well adjusted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about not letting our preconceived notions effect our view of the situation or circumstance. I think we could all learn from this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, have to be willing to look a bit further. Although if a furry comes near, I'm gonna run lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen this one either but have heard about it. what a very good point you make. I did giggle a bit that us vegetarians are included with all the sexual alternative lifestyles. Heh. Okay I got a good chuckle out of that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelley, as long as all people involved are well adjusted, I see nothing wrong with it either.

    Keith, Thank you. :)

    Pat, LOL even a cat?

    Anna, Okay, I just realized I did that. lol I was a vegetarian for years before I met my hubby who is definitely not and while being with him I stopped eating vegetarian. So I think I added that because I know how hard it was for me to be one when everyone around me wasn't. It's like it was an alternative lifestyle for me. I hope I didn't upset anyone for adding vegetarian to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL No you so didn't upset me I thought it was really funny and I totally got what you were saying. I've been a vegetarian for officially half my life now (eep doesn't that make me feel old!) and you gotten a lot of flack over the years from people over it. And I'm not one to push it on other people or make a big scene over it but dang people can be rude!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna, whew, ok glad to hear that. I so understand what you mean. I was a vegetarian for about 5 years and I think the steering remarks were harder to take than finding meatless dishes I liked (Which was a challenge because I didn't have Google back then) lol

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.