Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Review: Green Chef Food Subscription Box

I've been wondering about all those food subscription boxes that send you all the ingredient you'll need to make a few dinners each week. I wasn't sure which one to try because they are all a little expensive but Green Chef had a special going on that it only cost me $26 for the first week of 3 dinners for 2 people. This normally costs $80, which is a bit steep in price for me. 

They send everything you will need for 3 dinners and you can pick from Omnivore, Vegan, Vegetarian, Carnivore, Paleo and Gluten Free. I picked Omnivore and got 2 meat dishes and 1 vegetarian dish. It comes with the recipe cards so you know exactly what to do and what you'll need to make it. 

Even things like Red Wine Vinegar and Feta Cheese are pre packaged into little jars and you just look on your recipe card and take out what ingredients you'll need for each recipe. 

As you can see, they send all the ingredients and everything is clearly labeled. Everything was fresh and it all came in an insulated box with plenty of ice packs. Even in the 110F temperatures we were having when this arrived, everything was cold and fine. 

And of course, Falcor had to photo bomb at least one of my pictures. He wanted to see what I got and knew it was food. He just didn't understand why I wasn't giving the food to him. lol 

All in all, it was interesting to try this out and try 3 different recipes that I've never tried before. The meals I made were...

 1) Moroccan Meatball Skewers with apricot couscous and sauteed zucchini and carrots. 

2) Eggplant/cauliflower ragout with cumin spiced polenta, zucchini/roasted red pepper and cilantro salad. 

3) Herb pesto topped chicken with carrot/beet slaw, rainbow chard and corn. 

I've never had any of these dishes and interestingly enough we liked most of it with the exception of the first one. Neither Ken nor I liked it but was interesting to try something new. I love trying new recipes. 

Here's the 2nd dinner I made using the ingredients they sent. It's Eggplant/cauliflower ragout with cumin spiced polenta, and zucchini/roasted red pepper salad, topped with feta cheese. This ended up being so tasty that Ken didn't even mind that it was a vegetarian dish. 

It was pretty good. I think if I make polenta again, it'll be a different flavor though. The zucchini/roasted red pepper salad was really good. 

This was the Herb pesto topped chicken with carrot/beet slaw and rainbow chard with chick peas and corn. 

Neither of us liked the pesto but we both enjoyed the rest of it. I love rainbow chard and this was the first time I've ever had it. Who knew it was so good. Kind of had a spinach flavor to it. 


Have you tried any of the subscription meal boxes? There are several...Green Chef, Blue Apron, and HelloFresh are just a few to choose from. 

24 comments:

  1. No I haven't tried them, because I think they are expensive too. It's surprisingly healthy looking though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked the different choices, the food and the recipes. But they are too expensive for me.

      Delete
  2. Wow, lots of healthy choices there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our local grocery store does subscription boxes, but you can't pick vegetarian there, so I haven't tried them yet. But I do like the concept. This one sounds neat with how you have os many options and then get the ingredients and recipe cards. I also like trying new recipes and that's neat you found a few things you'll make again this way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting idea. None of my grocery stores offer subscription boxes. I am glad I tried them though.

      Delete
  4. This sounds neat and looks yummy! I would pick vegan and vegetarian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh this would come in handy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This, actually, looks kinda good! By the way, what kind of dog is Falcor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun with the recipes. Falcor is a Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix.

      Delete
  7. I've never heard of this one but the food looks good! Those were pretty interesting recipes, too, so it's nice to try something new! Falcor is so funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like trying new recipes and I never would have thought to put some of these ingredients together.

      Delete
  8. I love pesto sauce but it is either something you love or you don't. Felicia @ The Geeky Blogger orders meals all the time that look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time trying it and I'm not a fan. lol I would order more if they were reasonably priced.

      Delete
  9. I also like trying new recipes and that's neat you found a few things you'll make again this way Sakura Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was fun to try something new.

      Delete
  10. The veggie dish looks delicious! I'd like to try one but yeah prices are a little steep here. One day maybe. Glad you had fun trying them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good. Even Ken liked it. I'll definitely be making that again.

      Delete
  11. I've never tried any of these subscription meals. I'm a very picky eater and I'm always worried that I won't like whatever they send me. I might be willing to try one if I was able to pick the meals (I'm not sure if any allow that or not). I've always thought they were a little pricey too. Glad you were able to try these at a decent price.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found any where you're able to pick the meals but a lot let you pick between omnivore, vegetarian and meat eaters. This company also let you see what you were going to get the next week and you could skip that week if it didn't appeal to you.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.