Sunday, August 21, 2016

Review: Universal Yums Subscription Box

Universal Yums is a monthly subscription box that sends you snacks from all over the world. A different place each month. This month's box is from Taiwan. There are two box sizes to choose from. The 6 or more snacks or 12 or more snacks. I chose the 6 or more snacks box.  For my box size, it's $13.00 a month. And they sent quite a bit in my box. The other box costs $25.00 a month.




So I was sent 13 snacks in my box. Candies, cookies, chips and chewy candy. This months box is from Taiwan. It was interesting to try the different snacks because I've never had any of these things. I'm going to share with you a few of the more interesting things I found and my favorites.


I tried the Taro Mochi Cake first and it turned out to be one of the best things in the box. This is what the pamphlet said about it...

Taro Mochi Cake. Mochi is a sticky, chewy Japanese treat made from glutinous rice. In this Taiwanese take on the classic Japanese dessert, they've wrapped the mochi in a sweet butter cake and flavored the mochi with taro, a purple sweet potato.

It had a really soft feel to it. It was so soft that I could press down on it and let go and it would spring back into shape. It was so strange but wonderful. It had a sweet taste to it but I couldn't quite put my finger on the flavor. Maybe because I've never had taro or purple sweet potato before.



Then I tried a crunchy chocolate roll cookie thing which was really good and a Hi-Chew that was Lychee flavored. I didn't care for it but Ken liked it. 

The worst thing in the box was the Prince Noodles. It was like crushed Ramen noodles and Ramen seasoning and you were supposed to eat it right out of the package...not cooked or anything. It was not good and Ken didn't care for it either. 

I liked most of the candies in this box and the other things were interesting to try. Have you ever had any of these things?

16 comments:

  1. We used to always take Top Ramen to school, crush it up, pour the seasoning in the bag, and eat it like that. Everyone did it in the 90s. lol. This is cool, though. I want snacks from around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had a one at my sea, been years since I last ate candy. Interesting variety though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love candy. But I try not to eat it too often.

      Delete
  3. I've never done a subscription box before, of any kind. This does sound like a great way to try different things, though I'm a very picky eater, so I don't try new stuff that often (something I'm getting better about). Glad you liked most of these. I don't think I would like the noodles either. I'm not a fan of Ramen, so...

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love trying new things so this is a great box for that. I'll be trying another subscription box soon as well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was and it's something new each month.

      Delete
  5. Just recently, I've been seeing mochi ice cream treats in random places. I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After eating this, I would try that too.

      Delete
  6. I think these boxes are so cool Mary, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the post. They are fun boxes to get.

      Delete
  7. Oo! I've had the Hi-Chew before at the USO and it was pretty good. Different flavor though so that might have helped.

    Erg on the noddles. Though I know people who eat Ramen right out of the wrapper without cooking. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A different flavor would probably made a world of difference.

      I don't mind Ramen but it has to be cooked.

      Delete
  8. I wouldn't even be able to imagine what kind of candies they have in taiwan, must be fun to try new candies! I have heard of mochi before, I have eaten mochi ice a few times and it's delicious. It's ice with a layer of dough around it. Those mochi cakes sounds good!

    I don't like lychee, so I a not sure if I would like candy with that flavor. The chocolate looks good! I can't imagine eating noodles uncooked, I haven't heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With these boxes, I've now had chocolate candy from several different places and can honestly say it's been my favorite parts of the boxes.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.