Saturday, August 05, 2017

What's Been Happening Here?

Today I thought I'd share with you a few interesting things that have happened to me lately.

Last month my neighbor's son broke my mail box. It took days for me to get a confirmation from the post office and finally from my postal carrier that there was a work order put in and it would be fixed at some point. My # is the 11 box. The bottom of the box has been pried out and it's really hard to open and close. Even though I've called so many times I've lost count to find out when it will be fixed and they tell me soon, I won't hold my breath. It's still not fixed but they assure me that it will be soon. 


My neighbor across the street is friends with a man that works at a grocery store. This man didn't like seeing all the food that was no longer fresh enough to sell or close to the expiration date, being thrown in the trash. So he took it upon himself to pack his truck (The one on the street with the door open) with some of the food that was still good but no longer sell-able and give it away. He brings some of the non perishable foods to the food bank and then the perishable stuff he lets his friend across the street know he's coming (about once a week) and she will come across the street to my side and let everyone in this apartment complex know he'll be here in 10 minutes. Most days when he gets here, you can hear him yelling, "Free food! Free Food!" and people will come out to see what he has that day. Ken went out this day and you can see him standing by the car, in the green shirt. The guy had ice cream and snacks that day. 

This is what we got that day. The people around here really appreciate this guy who takes the time to do this because there are a lot of poor people who live in this neighborhood. Sometimes upwards of 30 people show up outside when they know he's coming and sometimes only a handful of people come out. We aren't the only street he goes to, he also brings food to other streets around here. That's not something you see very much and thought it was really nice of him to do. 


Last month we had a big blow out with my next door neighbor (The same one who's son broke my mail box) because people who are looking for her or the guy she lives with are banging on my bedroom window at 3am. We told her 2 times that we don't want her business to spill over into our lives and if it doesn't stop, we would escalate the situation. We believe her boyfriend is dealing drugs out of their apartment. I mean, why else would people be banging on bedroom windows at 3am unless they are looking for something like that. So Ken got mad and made up this sign and put it in our bedroom window. Later that day she came to my door and said because of our sign people keep banging on her bedroom window asking for money and drugs. She lied but Ken took this sign down and put up a new one that reads, "Do not knock on this window!"

We told the police when they were here for another fight in my courtyard that there are 6 problem apartments that are always fighting, breaking things and have a lot of traffic. So they said they would patrol more often here and we've seen more cops in the neighborhood over the part 3 weeks. And no one else has knocked on my bedroom window.

So that's what's been going on in my neck of the woods. What's been going on with you?

36 comments:

  1. Very good of that man to distribute food that would otherwise be thrown away. Supermarkets should take the initiative and donate it instead of waiting for someone like that man to act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you live in an exciting street. It's nice of the man to distribute food. Too much is wasted these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. So much gets thrown away.

      Delete
  3. Girl, I imagine you have enough activity around there to write a novel.(lol) Thank goodness the window knocking stopped! Kudos to the kindness of the man who gives away food to those in need. He'll be truly blessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People love the free food man around here. There's a lot going on around here at any given time.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your problems Mary. After the intense heat last month were finally having a cool down. Getting ready for the annual parish picnic in my small rural farming town. Have a great Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure will never be bored living there. lmao at the sign. I wouldn't want the druggies knocking either. Supermarkets should be doing that to begin with, so wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh people around here loved the sign. I agree. Supermarkets should give the stuff away instead of tossing it.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a right old neighbourhood. I like the sign. That sounds like something I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Ken's sign cracks me up! Is the son a little kid who accidentally broke your mailbox or a teen/adult who did it on purpose? Because isn't it a federal offense to mess with a mailbox?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kid is about 13 years old and it was an accident. He was trying to fix his mothers mail box and broke mine.

      Delete
  8. Neat about the food. Wow, that bad neighbor thing is so frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's why I'm glad I liver rather rural. Keeps the crazy and stupid people at bay. Also not a single j witness has come knocking either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice about the food. What a great guy. Your apartment complex is like a soap opera Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some stores are trying that here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man. That's a really crazy hood. Glad to hear about the sharing of food. Honestly, such a huge issue in my city. So it's good to see people actually getting out there trying to provide for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really respect that man and thought it would be nice for others to see too.

      Delete
  13. Dang, at least our neighbors are just stupid! I hope it settles down for you soon, really I do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like things have been stressful! Sorry to hear you were getting so many people banging on your bedroom window so late at night and that your mailbox was broken into. I hope the mailbox gets fixed soon. The man who brings the groceries is doing two wonderful things- helping others and preventing landfills from filling up even more!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love that he's helping those who are in need.

      Delete
  15. Why would he break into your mail box? What was he looking for? That’s such an invasion of privacy, I’m sorry about that Mary. I love that your neighbor is so thoughtful, when i worked out Starbucks we weren’t allowed to give away food we didn’t sell. I broke the rules everyday because it was silly to throw away good food when people are starving. I love Ken!!! He rocks, but I’m sorry about all the drama, you don’t need that stress in your life Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't break into my mail box he broke my box while trying to fix his mothers mail box. It's ridiculous to throw away food someone else can use. Thanks, he's a keeper.

      Delete
  16. Sounds a little stressful!

    So very good of that man to distribute food that would otherwise be thrown away. I think some of our UK Supermarkets do donate left over foods to the local food banks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the food banks appreciate that.

      Delete
  17. Anonymous10:57 PM

    Hi Mary! It's been a while since I've visited or heard from you. I hope you are well.



    ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice that guy is bringing food around. We had someone local sue a business that donated food like that so you don't see it too often.

    Your place sure is eventful. lol

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.