Sunday, April 22, 2018

Apartment Life #24

This is a new weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell  Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that go on in and around my apartment complex in the past 20 years that we've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 20 years here in a weekly blog post.

Last month I heard a series of loud popping noises behind me in the kitchen and then right afterwards I smelled a burnt odor. You better believe that freaked me out. Ken was outside but came back home soon after and I told him what I heard. He checked the electrical outlet we had problems with and it was fine and then he checked the hot water heater and sure enough he found a burnt wire, a leaking pipe going to our hot water heater and a burnt label on the hot water heater where the wire had been touching the tank and burned the label and the tank. He flipped off the breakers to the kitchen and pulled the wire away from the tank and told maintenance what he needed to fix the wires. But the manager wanted an electrician the company hired to come take a look at it and fix the leak and wires even though Ken is a maintenance man and even worked at this apartment complex for a few years after we first moved in here. But it got fixed and that's what I wanted. 

*click on picture to enlarge*

I circled in red where the wire got burned. Ken moved this wire away from the side of the tank where it had burned into the yellow label. 

*click on picture to enlarge*

It got burned pretty bad and had to be replaced.

*click on picture to enlarge*

I circled in red where the wire burned the yellow label. You can't really see it because it's far inside the cabinet and on the side where I couldn't get a good shot but you get the idea.

After being in this apartment for 20 years there are going to be things that stop working and need replacing. Thankfully Ken is knowledgeable enough about this kind of stuff that he knew what to do to stop it from starting a fire. But it sure scared me.


So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell  Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

32 comments:

  1. Good that Ken knows stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some scary stuff isn't it? I've had some wires go bad here, too. Glad yall are okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second time that wires have gone bad. It's scary.

      Delete
  3. Great he knew what to do. All it takes is one little thing and poof, fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is scary! Thank goodness you heard it/smelled it and Ken knew what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yea, that would be darn scary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. I'm so glad that he was there and knew what to do. It looks like it could have gotten a lot worse really fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes it quite burned

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's why I'm glad I live alone, apartament mangers seem like they want the whole area to go up in smoke.

    And you have to imagine some tenants won't spend the money to fix it on the sheer stubbornness that it should be (rightfully) their landlord's job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Apartment life sucks at times.

      Delete
  9. You have such scary things happen to you! I'm glad your husband knew what to do. I am always so afraid something will catch on fire here, it being such an old house. When my first husband and I first moved into it we had an electrician check things out, and then when we moved out and my parents moved in they had some more electrical work done. But still, stuff gets old, and dangerous. For some reason I have never thought of the wires to the hot water heater burning out like that. We need to replace the one here anyway. It doesn't heat the water like it should anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wires and fires are definitely a scary thing to think about.

      Delete
  10. So pleased there wasn't a fire!
    Thank goodness you heard it/smelled it and Ken knew what to do!

    Do take care

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow sure glad you heard it and found it before it could turn into a real hot problem Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you were home to hear and smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you noticed it so quickly! It could have been very dangerous if you hadn't been paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's some damage. Glad it got fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad your hubby knows about that stuff, that could have been dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Mary! Thank goodness you noticed it, and that hubby knew exactly what to do. This could have been a horrible event. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know. First the outlet starts popping and sparks are fling and now this. I think the wires are trying to tell me something.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.