Thursday, August 05, 2021

Answering Your Questions

 
So each week on my Sunday posts I get a few questions that I thought I would go ahead and answer here. 

So the biggest question I've been asked is, "Why don't you just move?"
Answer: I've looked for affordable apartments and can't find anything as cheap as this place. I'm still looking though.

Question: "Why don't you call the police on the drug dealer?"
Answer: He's been raided, busted, arrested several times and he's always out within a couple of days. Calling the police doesn't always help. 

Question: "Does the apartment manger do anything about the people causing problems?"
Answer: NO. We haven't had an onsite manager since February of 2020. I have an email but they don't care about anything as long as people are paying their rent. I've complained about drug dealer and have been told they can't do anything for me to call the police. And you already know how well that helps. 

Question: "The needles look like insulin syringes. Do they use those for drugs too?"
Answer: Yes, they do unfortunately. I've watched one guy in the bushes using one of those needles to shoot up. 

Question: "Do these people ever sleep?"
Answer: Apparently not. Falcor has a very sensitive stomach and frequently has to go out at 3 am so I see people out at all kinds of hours. I know a few people around here do coke and meth and stay up for days at a time. 

Question: "How can the homeless afford the drugs?"
Answer: I see them panhandling in the parking lot where there's a McDonalds, Del Taco and a bunch of little shops. They get money that way. I assume that some of the women are prostituting themselves out in the drug apartment seeing how I see naked women coming out of that apartment on occasion.

And on Instagram someone asked how to get The Daily Goodie Boxes. The easiest way is to go to their FB page and comment on their posts. They give away a lot of boxes each day. 

Question: "Has it always been this rough in the neighborhood the whole time you've lived there OR did it slowly evolve?"
Answer: It was nice when we first here. Lots of families and it was quiet. Over time it's gotten bad and a lot of druggies, drug dealers and homeless people have moved around here.

Question: "Do you see other litter, like food wrappers?"
Answer: Yes, the homeless and drug addicts around here leave a big mess where ever they seem to congregate. 

Here's a couple of pictures to show you what I mean. These are two electrical boxes of some kind. The homeless people sleep here a lot of times because there's heat coming from the boxes. In the Winter time they can stay warm here. On this day there was clothes, food wrappers, and signs they had made to panhandle. That building right behind the block wall is my apartment complex. The sidewalk on the right is where I walk Falcor. There are two more electrical boxes across the street on the other side of my apartment building and more homeless stay there. So it doesn't matter which way I walk, the homeless and druggies are all over the place but I don't usually have any problems with any of them. 

These are the same boxes but from another angel and you can see the sidewalk on the left where I walk Falcor. The area around the electrical boxes usually gets cleaned up either by the porter for my apartment complex or by people who work at Cal Ranch since this is technically part of their parking lot. That fenced in place you see on the far left is where Cal Ranch keep the bigger things and large palettes of things that I guess don't fit in their store room.

So there's a few of your questions answered.

45 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering the questions. I am sorry that neither the apartment manager nor the police seem to be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mary!

    Thanks for taking time to answer a bunch of F.A.Q. in a single post, dear friend. It's sad that your once quiet, family-oriented neighborhood has gone downhill to this extent, with gunfire, lawlessness and litter becoming common aspects of your apartment life. Seems there are always more problems than solutions, and all we can do is continue to muddle through. At least the homeless and druggies don't harass you and my buddy Falcor when you go for your walks.

    Take care and I'll see you this Sunday, dear friend Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might do another post like this after I get more questions. I've been here for 24 years so it was bound to change.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if the newspaper would care about the drug problem?
    I hope you can find something affordable soon. I know that apartments are stupid expensive compared to houses. My mortgage is less than half what it takes to rent a two-bedroom apartment in my city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I've contacted a couple of local news stations when the police are swarming my area for active shooters, murders and shootings. But they never show up so I doubt it.

      Delete
  4. It’s a lot to deal with, Mary. I get so mad when I see people giving money to panhandlers because they are not doing them any favors. If you really believe someone is hungry, go buy them a meal! Unfortunately, the vast majority of homeless are drug addicts who don’t want help or those with mental illness who refuse treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought meals for people before and you can tell they were grateful for it.

      Delete
  5. "So the biggest question I've been asked is, "Why don't you just move?"
    Answer: I've looked for affordable apartments and can't find anything as cheap as this place. I'm still looking though."
    I never asked because I assumed that would be the reason - I can't imagine anyone be willing to live where you do if they couldn't do better. I hope you find a place soon.

    "So it doesn't matter which way I walk, the homeless and druggies are all over the place but I don't usually have any problems with any of them."
    At least there's that. I would still be afraid though. I hope that you can keep staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I find a place too but prices are going higher every time I look.

      I have a taser so I feel a little safer.

      Delete
  6. You know I don't like where I live because it it getting built up around the village but it has never been like that where you live even though we must have a few of those skanks about. Hopefully yours will kill themselves in the end and then you can be rid of them.
    PS tanks for following

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know if I would go that far, maybe they will just move away or get busted.

      Delete
  7. I completely understand about "affordable" apartments. For what's happening in the area, the homeless and the drug house, your area doesn't look all that bad. No rows of tents, sleeping bags, squalor along the pathway. Are you familiar with Skid Row in Los Angeles? If not, take a look at YouTube videos. It breaks your heart how some people are forced to live, some through drugs, some through mental problems, some just bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, every once ina while there are tents, sleeping bags and mess. The police do make them move along when they catch them. I have seen Los Angeles and it is sad.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the insight. I do hope you can find a better place to live. As you know, I used to live in Utah and Vegas was only a 2 1/2 hour drive away and I spent a lot of time there--generally at UNLV--but I came to realize there were some pretty bad parts to the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there are worst places than where I live.

      Delete
  9. it's all about the money. stay safe
    @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I've seen your tweets about the neighborhood but didn't realize it was this bad. I'm really sorry and I hope you find a solution. Things have improved here but once the pandemic eviction moratoriums expire I'm worried they will get worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weeks are better than others here. Oh I'm sure a lot of people are going to be evicted.

      Delete
  11. Yes, it evolves slowly, and in the bad direction. My neighborhood used to be called once "little Paris" - nice, clean, promising.
    And now...I'm also looking for a chance to move.
    The thing is that for those who don't have big money- the options are almost non-existing.Besides, it's bad everywhere., people are just not aware of that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is hot and humid here in Georgia. I feel a lot of compassion for the homeless people I see. Yet, I know to not mess with them and know a few can be downright dangerous. I just could not stand to live outside when it is so hot or very cold. Add to that the bugs we have that bite.

    Having lived in your apartment for 24 years, it would probably take a jackhammer to get you moved out. We all accumulate so much. My thoughts is the old "better the devil you know than the devil you don't know". Wherever you live, there are going to be problems. I live in the boonies and I have a difficult neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I have a lot of stuff in this little apartment. I don't want to move but I might have to at some point.

      Delete
  13. I hope someday you find something new to live. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those were interesting answers and we wish you lots of luck in finding a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's sad that it has deteriorated over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I guess there's only so much you can do when drug users like the neighborhood you're in. Same with homeless encampments. The police can clear them out but they just keep coming back. I don't think the fines and jail time are a deterrent enough. The neighborhood I grew up in was nice when I was little, but gradually became rundown and attracted less that favorable characters. We moved years ago, but I've driven by a few times over the years and it's depressing. Sorry that's happened to your neighborhood, Mary. Hope you find another, more peaceful and safe place to live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day we'll be able to move.

      Delete
  17. It really is a shame that the area has changed so much in the time that you have been there. Moving is not always an option. There really are no answers to the drug and homeless issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there's not always an answer for that.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for your answers, it was interesting

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty cool to read these Q&A's, Mary 👌🏻🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found it interesting.

      Delete
  20. I know the pain of having a landlord/apartment manager not give a flying f*ck as long as the rent is paid. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As long as you stay safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love seeing this questionaire you have shared. I think it must be so difficult for you to have moved into a place that started out so wonderful but the neighborhood has turned awful. Hope you will be able to find a new place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Same here. It was pretty nice when we moved here 17 years ago, but when the elderly people pass away their children sell their houses to out of town land(slum)lords. 😛

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.