Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Book Review: Beautiful Thing by Ever Nightly

 

Book Description

Just out of college, I'm recruited for a top-secret linguistics job. Easy, right? Translate for a few foreign prisoners and I'm home free. But when I arrive at Area 51, I'm swept into a world of secrets and lies. And the prisoner? Yeah, he's not even human. His name is Specimen-One and he's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. But he's an alien, so not exactly boyfriend material. I'm not sure he agrees, though. He wants something, and I have a sinking feeling that something is me...



My Review

Ava is recruited for a secret, mysterious job that she isn't told much about. Only that the job will take about six weeks and will pay her a really good amount of money. So she and another woman are taken to Area 51 where they find out that they will be working with what the others are calling Specimen One. She finds out that three years ago an alien space craft crashed on Earth and they have held one of the aliens at their underground facility all that time. 

Ava finds out that S1 as they like to call him, has an unusual effect on some women and they aren't sure why. it might be his alien pheromones that attract the women and make them go crazy if they can't be around him. Ava turns out not to be effected as much by him in that way and an be around him without going crazy. 

S1 hasn't shown any interest in any of the women or any of the researchers as they have tried to talk with him as well as tortured him by doing medical experiments on him. But when he spots Ava, his interest is peaked and he speaks with her but at first only she can hear him. S1 was a great alien and I really liked how these two got along when they are thrown together. But this book ends on a serious cliffhanger with nothing at all resolved. 

I should have read the reviews for this before reading because I would have seen that people were complaining that this ends on a cliffhanger and I wouldn't have wasted my time on this. This should have been an entire book with a beginning, middle and real ending, but it was not. I really wish authors would stop ending their books on cliffhangers like this because it makes me less likely to read any of their other books. 

I give this book 2 out of 5 stars. 

34 comments:

  1. Boo and hiss at cliffhangers. And no, once bitten twice shy from here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind a well done cliff hanger but when nothing is resolved at all... that's not a complete book! Ugh, and this sounded so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When nothing is resolved at all it feels like it stopped in the middle of a book.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you didn't like the cliffhanger but being book 1 in a series I would kind of expected it which is why I try to go into a new series and author when multiple books are available

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect a cliffhanger ever. But some are ok as long as the main storyline is resolved and this one wasn't. Nothing was resolved. Making it feel like it stopped in the middle of the book.

      Delete
  4. Sorry this was a disappointing one. I hope the next one is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the premise of this one, and the characters are intriguing, but BOO for the cliffhanger ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An alien love interest sounds fun, but sorry about the cliffhanger. Something to entice me into the next book or some loose threads is ok, but I also get annoyed when books don't have a beginning, middle, and end and are actually just half a book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, the cover must be the best part of the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story was actually good until it just stopped with that cliffhanger.

      Delete
  8. I hate cliffhangers. I want my story to end at the end of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another bummer of a book. Sorry, Mary. I do like the tattoo on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a fan of cliffhangers. I hope your next read is better and cliffhanger free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a really great premise, but I'd be annoyed if I got to a cliffhanger and didn't know in advance. I don't mind so much if the next book is already out because then I can just read it right after, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The premise was great, the cliffhanger not so much.

      Delete
  12. Sorry this one missed the mark for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the next one will be better.

      Delete
  13. Area 51 and its stories are very popular among our youth but i am not sure that whether alien / aliens stories are correct or not. But an alien and love sounds interesting. And sorry to hear that cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live near Area51 so it sounded like a fun story to me.

      Delete
  14. What a strange name for an author indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, cliffhangers are a pain, especially when you are mot aware its coming.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, I really hate that this whole 'the first book is a free teaser' so don't expect an ending trend that has developed. I'd rather pay (or pay more) and get a whole book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grrr. Cliff hangers bug my happiness! I'm fine if I know it's a cliffhanger before reading so I can have the next one lined up but if I'm caught off guard by it I get stabby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wish author would stop doing this.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.