Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Everyone Has A Story, Here's One of Mine

 
I've been thinking of writing an autobiography or memoir but it just never comes together for me but I figured if I write one story at a time and post it on my blog maybe once a month, I can do that. Maybe one day I'll pull all the stories together and put them in a book but for now I'll just share some stories with you about my childhood. Some of the stories will be happy, some sad and some horrific because that was my childhood. But they will all be real, things that actually happened. If it seems like something that people enjoy reading maybe I'll keep it going. These stories will not be in any kind of order, I'll just write them as they come to me.

Teaching Our Dog To Climb Tree's

After the last couple of month's stories, I thought I would throw in a funny one this month, When my younger brother and I were younger and our parents were still married we had a little black dog named Poochie. He was a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix. We had a huge fenced in back yard with a really tall avocado tree and a few other fruit tree's back there since my dad's parents owned a plant nursery. We had lots of plants. Poochie loved to chase the cats and people but mostly the cats and when they would get in our back yard he would be so irritated when they would climb the tree's to either get on the 4ft tall block wall to get out of the yard or just hop in the tree. So me and my brother when we were really small decided we would teach Poochie how to climb the one tree near the block wall so he would get on the wall and hop down to the other side and chase the cats. Don't worry, he never caught the cats.

So for weeks we picked him up and got in the tree with him and was teaching him how to jump up to where he could stand on the horizontal branches and be able to get on the block wall. One day a cat was in the back yard when we went back there to play and it jumped into that tree and Poochie ran right up into the tree, got on the block wall and jumped the 4 feet down to the other side and chased the cat up another tree. 

Then he ran back home and came back in the back yard. He did this a few times before my mom saw and wondered how he figured out how to climb the tree. We were so proud that we told her we taught him and we got in trouble. But we thought it was funny. 

Not too long after that my dad realized that we had helped Poochie dig a humungous hole in the dirt in the back yard. it wasn't very deep but it was really wide. My brother and I would get back there and start digging with our hands and Poochie would dig right along side us. We were digging tunnels for our trucks, cars, dolls and action figures to play in. Somehow after doing this all Summer my dad realized that there was so much dirt missing from the back yard and the hole was so large that he had to have some dirt trucked in and hand shovel it back in there to level the yard out again. I laugh now because seriously, where the heck did the dirt go? We had a lot of fun with that dog. 

 
Links to past stories. 

44 comments:

  1. Sounds like the dog had a lot of fun too. The cats, on the other hand, were probably really spooked at encountering a dog that could climb trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How in the world did you do that with your hands?? That really is remarkable that you taught Poochie to climb a tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where all the dirt went. We had fun teaching him that.

      Delete
  3. I think it's fun to write down the stories from our life. I enjoyed this one. I don't know who I'm more impressed with---you and your brother or the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the hole was so large that he had to have some dirt trucked in and hand shovel it back in there to level the yard out again. I laugh now because seriously, where the heck did the dirt go?"
    😂 It's also funny how your dog was willing to go with every plan you had - even digging...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved being out there playing with us.

      Delete
  5. What is it about digging holes that all kids want to do? One time my mother told us we could dig a hole as deep as we wanted to. We really worked hard. Imagine our disappointment when we got the waterhose to fill our new swimming pool and the water just disappeared in the dirt.

    You and your brother were really smart to teach the dog to climb the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids and dirt just go together really well.

      Delete
  6. That was a fun story. I am glad you have some nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

      Delete
  7. What a funny story. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Poochie was a fast learner and you and your brother were good teachers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He always wanted to be doing what we were doing.

      Delete
  8. I love this story. Too bad there wasn't a way to take video back then. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have some 8mm film around here somewhere. lol

      Delete
  9. Great and funny story, Mary. Your approach is how I inadvertently created my book. Just sharing stories on the blog until I had enough. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might write a book one day, not sure. Some of the stories might be too much for people, I'm going to wait and see.

      Delete
  10. LOL, now I'm wondering, where DID that dirt go?

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dog was a good digger but not a climber

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's hilarious, especially about the diging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea where all that dirt went.

      Delete
  13. Your story cracked me up. What a dog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a fun story and I think the pup was having such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely had a good time with us.

      Delete
  15. I didn't know a dog could be taught to climb a tree! Sounds like some fun times! Great story, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of a dog that could climb a tree. I remember digging a huge hole and then learning that my dad spanked the dog for it. I told him right away that the dog didn't do it I did. I felt horrible about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful memories. I cannot believe you taught the dog to climb trees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These tree's had a lot of horizontal limbs for him to stand on and climb up on.

      Delete
  18. How fun you taught the dog to climb a tree. Too bad you got into trouble for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were always getting in trouble for something.

      Delete
  19. Hahahahaha! That's too funny. 😆

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes where did that dirt go?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a precious memory. I would have loved to had a dog like that. So much fun teaching him things and going on adventures!

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.