Thursday, May 11, 2023

Low Carb Recipe: Artichoke

 

I've always loved artichokes. But if you've never made one yourself, you might not realize how easy it is to have a low carb snack, just 13 grams of carbs for one artichoke. Now if you do know how to make them and have your own way of cooking and seasoning them, that's fine, this is just my way. 

So the first thing I do is cut about 1-2 inches off the top and cut the stem down to about an inch. The stem is stringy so I don't eat it. The top cutting just makes it easier to cook it all the way through and since you don't eat the top of the leaves, this doesn't waste anything. 

Then just put it in a pot with enough water to almost cover it, salt the water really well and cover it. Boil for around 30 minutes or until you can stick a form into the side of the stem really easily, like checking if a potato is done when boiling them for mashed potatoes. Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. To be sure the middle gets done too. Use a slotted spoon to remove from the water and let sit in a colander with the cut side down for 3 minutes to get most of the water run out.

This is what it looks like when done.

Now you can start taking the leaves off. Now you see the white part of the leaf? That's the part you eat plus just a little of the green part right above it. You just drag your teeth across it and bite that part of the leaf off. I make a melted butter sauce with a little salt and dip each leaf into it before I bite it. 

After all the leaves are gone, it starts to look like this. You can still eat the white part of the leaves until they get too small to eat. 

At that point you are left with this. You take a spoon and carefully scoop out those inedible thorny leaves. 

It usually comes out really easily and you are left with the artichoke heart. The best part! Dip it in some melted butter and enjoy. Have you made artichokes before? Will you try it now?

52 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Recently I was in LA and went to a place in Santa Monica. And had grilled artichoke for the first time in my life! Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another vegetable I don't eat often enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife eats it but out of a jar. Seems like a lot that you can't eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but that heart part is worth the work, let me tell you.

      Delete
  4. I’ve never made them and have only had them whole like you made one time (my MIL made them). Honestly, I’m not sure I’ve seen them at the store. I do like the jarred ones that I put in casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see them in stores all the time. You should try making them one time.

      Delete
  5. I love artichokes, but haven't fixed them in a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good. Glad to see someone else likes them too.

      Delete
  6. I love artichokes, too! I have never cooked them at home though. I order them at my favorite Italian restaurant from time to time, and I use the canned hearts for making dip. Thanks for the tutorial. I might try to make it. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier when someone else cooks them but they are easy to cook at home.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing, I have bought the hearts in jars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exactly what one would need to make and eat these at home. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've actually never made them, I'm not sure why, I guess I just never think of it. Unless someone reminds me, like you just did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are all kinds of ways to make them too.

      Delete
  10. I have only ever eaten artichoke hearts (or dip), but I was googling, these have a lot of fiber which is also something that helps stabilize blood sugar

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like artichokes but it's been a long time since we had them. The last time we had them was in hummus that we made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Artichokes are really good and nice and healthy too. We're fans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had an artichoke, but may try one now that I know how to cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this Mary :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh for fans of artichoke, I bet this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love artichoke and usually make dip or have it on pizza. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, hey! I bought artichoke and don't know what to do with it. Lol! Now, this is just what I need. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never tried artichoke. They're not common in my corner of the world.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  19. We don't have them here, and they never looked to me like something I would like LOL We also do not have asparagus often nor rhubarbs. Yams either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I never would have thought that.

      Delete
  20. I absolutely love artichokes and I make and eat them the same way. Sometimes I'll drizzle some lemon juice too. My husband likes them with aioli dip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes them like this.

      Delete
  21. I've never been brave enough to cook my own artichokes, though I do really like them. Thanks for sharing your recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will try it out now. They are easy to make.

      Delete
  22. I don't like artichokes, but this does seem very easy to make. And I found it interesting to read about how you eat them with only the white part of each leaf being edible. I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought there would be a lot more people commenting that they didn't like them. I love them.

      Delete
  23. I love artichokes, but I hardly make them at home. Always thought they were more trouble than they were worth. But yes, if dipped in melted butter, it's soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really easy to make. I hope you make them now.

      Delete
  24. I LOVE artichokes and I think they are so easy to make! I microwaved them for years with a recipe I had found (you put sliced garlic and lemon in the leaves) but now I do the same basic recipe in my instant pot.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too. And they are easy to make.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.