Sunday, January 07, 2024

Apartment Life #300

 

This is a weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell  Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that have gone on in and around my apartment complex and in my neighborhood in the past 25 years that I've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 25 years here in a weekly blog post. 

New Year's Eve was fairly quiet. I did hear a few gunshots and saw one guy on the sidewalk shooting into the air at midnight but other than a lot of fireworks that was it. So fairly quiet. 
---

Tuesday the Water District was across the street drilling, smashing, pounding and installing new water meters. They had to break up the concrete that was there and bring in a cement mixer to pour new cement once they installed the new water meters. 

They were there from 6am until around 3pm. So darn early to be starting though. They put in new meters in front of several of the apartments across the street over the course of a few weeks so one day I asked a guy why the new meters. One guy told me it was so each individual apartment could be billed for their own water usage. Unlike my apartment complex where the management company pays the water bill but each of us residents are charged a monthly $50 fee for water and trash. 


The very next day the apartment building had roofers redoing part of the roof. They started yelling, pounding and banging at 5am and were finally finished around 4pm. It was a loud couple of days. 

I don't know how these guys were up there walking around on this roof with no safety ropes like it was no big deal. 

Can you believe this is my 300th Apartment Life post? It's crazy to me that I have that much to talk about around here. 


The high this week was 61F/16C
The low this week was 36F/2C

So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell  Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

36 comments:

  1. A very, very noisy few days. Here unless it is an emergency workmen cannot start before 7am. Or go on after 8.
    I notice it was your 300th post. Definitely a lot to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that I have so much to share.

      Delete
  2. To start that early and go all day, I'm guessing they get paid by the hour instead of by the job, and that guy shooting into the air was risking a bullet coming down, landing on his own head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised they started so early.

      Delete
  3. Happy 300! Although maybe I shouldn't say happy since there's so much drama, but you know what I mean. :) We had some fireworks on NY too- and it was 30 here. I was like who's out in this freezing weather shooting off fireworks??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol People are crazy to be out in that cold.

      Delete
  4. I bet the people in those apartments were absolutely thrilled to have all that racket overhead at 5:00 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three hundred posts - congratulations!
    We've had our roof done before. No, they don't wear safety harnesses.
    And fifty a month for water and garbage is a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's crazy to me because I know I would fall off the roof if I tried to do that. lol

      Delete
  6. My low was -33c this week, lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those in the Trades do start their Work early, mostly due to Weather and getting things accomplished before the distractions of everyone being up and active would interfere. It is amazing how many Posts we can crank out about daily Life, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that I could crank out this many posts about this.

      Delete
  8. I can't wrap my head around those early hour repairs. How are they even allowed at 5 or 6 AM? No worker in their right mind would ever think to start before 8/8.30 AM here. I think it's the rules. And wow, you're freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on 300 Apartment Life posts! It sure sounds noisy, we can't believe how much noise those roofers can make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure can make a lot of noise.

      Delete
  10. Thankfully, for the dogs sake, New Years Eve was quiet where we are at, but then we live in the country. You could hear fireworks in the distance, but nothing close. And I had my roof redone last year, and they did use safety ropes. But my roof is a 12/12 pitch meaning it's steep while this roof looks to be a 12/4 or 12/5 pitch. I'd have no problem working on it (but my roofing days are over)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no way I could do that and not fall off.

      Delete
  11. That sounds headache inducing. I can’t believe it’s been 300!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...300 posts. That's pretty incredible. I hope this week is a quieter one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought workers weren't allowed to start until 7am. That's frustrating. Shooting a gun straight into the sky is completely stupid! He's lucky he wasn't injured. Glad to hear New Year's Eve was mostly quiet for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I would have thought too.

      Delete
  14. That is really early to be making so much noise. I think that they are supposed to wait until 7 in my area. I hope that you have a nice quiet week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can tell it's the States when a few gunshots mean it's fairly quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are some really early days... I be there is a noice ordinance but no one cares!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had a good mix of fireworks and gunfire on New Year's where we were.

    Why do the workers have to start so early? Ugh. It's too dark here at 5 and 6 still for that kind of labor. I start work at 6:30 and it's barely light out--it's definitely dark when I wake up. I imagine you see the sun sooner than I do maybe.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting light outside around 6:45

      Delete
  18. I would be so angry with a 5am wakeup call and all that banging!

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.