Sunday, March 10, 2024

Apartment Life #309

 
This is a weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell  Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that have gone on in and around my apartment complex and in my neighborhood in the past 25 years that I've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 25 years here in a weekly blog post.  

On Thursday everyone in my courtyard and the one next to ours got this notice that a painting company would be power washing and then painting our buildings starting on Friday. And bright and early Friday morning they were here at 7am power washing the walls. 

Then they started scraping off the water damaged paint places that are mostly towards the bottom and filling that in with something. This is the color before they painted over it. I'll show you the finished product next week if they finished by then.

So this is what it looks like before the new paint.

While walking Falcor I noticed the painters had set up this trailer for all their painting supplies so they don't have to lug them back and forth over the weekend I'm guessing. 

But what I hadn't noticed until I was walking back was a porta potty right next to the trailer that was placed right in front of someone's bedroom window. 

As you can see it's really close to the wall and the smell coming off this thing is awful. They could have at least put it on the other side of the alley and not right up against someone's bedroom widow. 

Then on Saturday morning I noticed that my elderly neighbor's bedroom window was wide open. This is a problem because she was evicted a month ago and still has a bunch of stuff in her apartment that she wants to come back and get. So I looked at the door and the "Keep Out" sticker that maintenance put across the door was taken off. So someone, probably one of the homeless people broke in. So I called her and let her know. She said she would be right over but she never showed up so I have no idea. I would have called the manager or the maintenance guy but they are not available on the weekends. 

She had sowed up with her daughter last week to check on her apartment and noticed that the chairs and table she left outside had been moved to her next door neighbors door. So her daughter knocked really loudly on their door and then proceeded to cuss them out and tell them not to move her stuff again. The daughter started to walk away and they shut their door but I guess the daughter had more to say because she turned around, walked back to their door, pounded on it again and told then they shouldn't be touching other people's stuff. 

My elderly neighbor was standing next to me and my daughter and said she couldn't believe that they moved her table and chairs. 

Well last night someone stole her chairs. They are now gone. 

The white lines are where the painters filled in the cracks.

And then I noticed that the glass on this window had been broken. Not sure what happened.


The high this week was 68F/20C
The low this week was 45F/7C

So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell  Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

39 comments:

  1. In your neighborhood, no surprise someone stole them. But that's really bad you can't contact management on the weekend.
    Does the building look better now that it's painted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been painted yet. They've just filled in the cracks so far. I'll post a picture of the new paint next week.

      Delete
  2. What a weird notice. I'm not sure I want to "experience the unforgettable" during something that's supposed to be as mundane as the building being painted. Perhaps "the unforgettable" refers to the port-a-potty smell.

    I can't say I'm surprised about the chairs being missing. I'm amazed anything can be left outside around that place without being stolen, from the way you've described the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a weird notice. I noticed that too. I was surprised that the chairs didn't go missing sooner.

      Delete
  3. Awful happenings poor lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was evicted because she didn't pay her rent for 5 months. I don't feel too bad for her.

      Delete
  4. Stinks her stuff got stolen. I hope the painting is finished and you are happy with the way it turned out. How odd about the porta potty so close to someone's bedroom window.

    Hope management starts getting everything under control in your building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if management did get it together but I doubt that will happen.

      Delete
  5. I can't imagine what that would be like to have the biffy so close. I tried to explain biffy to language learners and it's quite humorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine what that is. lol I still can't believe they put it so close.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow- that porta potty. Yikes! And the chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They put it right in front of someone's bedroom window. How rude is that.

      Delete
  7. I'm surprised management didn't toss her stuff in the dumpster when she was evicted. Around here they do and the fact she didn't show up when you called about the window makes it seem she really doesn't care, just putting on a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my state management or landlords are required to keep your belongings for 30 days before they can legally dispose of them. Yeah, I don't think she cares about anything that's left.

      Delete
  8. Such craziness at your place. 7 is so early. I'm a lazy person who likes to read late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dog gets me up early to go out so I'm usually already awake.

      Delete
  9. A fresh coat of paint and thorough cleaning is always a good thing in my book, though I'm not sure I'd be happy about it happening at 7 am!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad for your elderly neighbour. Hopefully her things are still there when she does come to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Monday now and she hasn't come yet. I doubt she's going to come and get her stuff before management throws it all away.

      Delete
  11. I would think your neighbor would know better than to leave her stuff out. Cool they're painting your apartments! It's nice to get a freshening up! Sucks they put the porta potty right next to someone's bedroom window, though. Not great thinking on their part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be raising holy hell about the port potty in front of my window.

      Delete
  12. Look at the bright side: the building will get painted and refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, the painting is a good thing but that is a poor place for the porta-potty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well it is not a challenge who a suspect in the disappearance of chairs could be. That is the problem with telling someone off. Payback. To be or not to be. Not that I haven't ran my mouth off too.

    I've read the earlier post of the older woman. I do feel sympathy for her. It is a shame someone could not have advised her to pay her rent. Someone probably did but she did not believe them.

    I hope all is well with you. New paint is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I told her several times to pay her rent but she thought she knew better and was going to win her court case against this place.

      Delete
  15. That porta potty placement is just plain thoughtless.
    Hope the painting job wraps up soon and brings some positive change to the complex.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Experience the unforgettable" LOL. Hard enough to forget about a paint coat on you apartment walls 😂. Or maybe they were referring to the unforgettable experience of being waken up at 7 AM by their power-washing job...

    Not the chair feud again. How comes no one in your neighbourhood can leave other people's furniture (and packages) alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because people around here don't care about anyone but themselves.

      Delete
  17. WOW... I'd be pissed about that porta-potty (lol - see what I did there?) But seriously, that's not cool. Sorry about your former neighbor's stuff... I hope she can get in and get everything out soon. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why she never came to get her stuff or to make sure that her apartment was secure, I actually don't think she's coming back for anything at this point.

      Delete
  18. How dumb to put a portaloo right next to someone's bedroom window. Experience the unforgettable? I don't think so....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this week has been unforgettable alright.

      Delete
  19. At least they showed up on the day they were supposed to, even if it was at 7 AM... I've been stood up more time by construction folks lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that really sucks. They should at least show up.

      Delete
  20. How is the painting come along? I hope the trailer with their supplies doesn't get broken into. That really is thoughtless to place the porta potty next to a bedroom window like that. I wonder if your former neighbor will ever come back to see if her stuff is still there. It doesn't sound like it, does it? I hope you are having a good week, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she is coming back to get her stuff.
      The painting is coming along. Wait until Sunday, I have a whole rant coming. lol

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.