Sunday, May 05, 2024

Apartment Life #317

 
This is a weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell  Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that have gone on in and around my apartment complex and in my neighborhood in the past 25 years that I've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 25 years here in a weekly blog post.  

I spotted another video camera in someone's window across the street. I think it's funny that I keep spotting more of them. I knew I wasn't the only one with one in my window. My new neighbor who just moved in next door to me has one in her living room window pointing towards her door.

Oh and these signs were put up all over our complex. We now have security patrolling here. I've seen them in the cars a few times but they never get out they just drive by. I never see them patrolling the grounds. I don't know if we're supposed to call the number if we want someone to come out for something or what. A new neighbor said his rent when he moved in is $1060. So I now know that our rent is increasing by about $125 next time we sign a new lease. 

The police were in the shopping center parking lot next door. I'm not sure which one of these stores was robbed but that's usually what happens when 3 police cars show up. 

As I was walking down the street with Falcor, I noticed some smoke further down the street where the homeless people make their camps 

I didn't see any fire but there was enough smoke to worry me so I called 911 and told them about the smoke. Then I walked home and waited to see if I could catch the fire truck driving by.

And I did. That sidewalk near the sound wall is where I was walking. But as you can see, I can't see where the smoke was coming from, from my bedroom window. It's too far down the street.
---

The same neighbor who was taken by ambulance a couple of weeks ago was taken again this week. 

She was having breathing problems. That's the paramedics and the neighbor in the gurney walking past my window camera. 
---

On Thursday morning around 6AM, my daughter had to call the police because one of the homeless guys was walking in and out of our courtyard and trying some of the door handles as he was holding a knife. My daughter works the graveyard shift so she was up early and saw him when she was sitting outside. She came inside and watched him on the video camera we have in the window. The police came, talked with some neighbors but I don't know if they couldn't find him or didn't have enough proof to take him because he was still here that morning. 


On Friday, the very next day my daughter was over at the store right next door when she spotted him again, this time rifling through someone's car in the 4-Kegs parking lot. So she called 4-Kegs as she video taped him and told them that he was going through someone's unlocked car and they came out. I don't know what happened, my daughter didn't stay. 


The high this week was 87F/30C
The low this week was 55F/12C

So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell  Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

28 comments:

  1. I am pretty sure I would want a video too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the get that guy.
    That's a big jump in rent. However, you'd be shocked if I told you how much it was to rent a two bedroom apartment here. (And shocked if I told you how much smaller my mortgage is.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know rent is high everywhere.

      Delete
  3. You've become an expert in appartment life, police, ambulances, firefighters.
    Well, we all have to be experts in our neighborhoods if we wish to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s a lot in one week. Do you think security patrolling around in cars will do any good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. They haven't stopped anything from happening around here.

      Delete
  5. That's a lot of money, but maybe it's worth the hassle if the patrol does what it's supposed to do...you sure need it around there. And yikes, the guy with a knife. I bet he's got some mental problems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They aren't even stopping the homeless from sleeping in front of doors.

      Delete
  6. Video cameras are almost a necessity these days

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw of a ton of cops this week. and I took it with a grain of salt. We had Cinco de Mayo festivities in my area, and each year they ramp up the security. This year they had cement blocks to prevent cars coming in, I picture in the coming years cement blocks laying up all the way to my apartment door. (wink)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad so many cops were needed in your area.

      Delete
  8. Evidently, the guy with the knife testing doorknobs didn’t read the No Trespassing sign, and too bad daughter didn’t stick around to tell us the guy is finally off the streets and locked up. If he’s not, you’ve not seen the last of him. You two be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, he's still around. Saw him last night.

      Delete
  9. Hopefully they catch the guy hanging out with the knife! That's pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They wanted proof and didn't take what my daughter saw as proof enough so they did nothing.

      Delete
  10. You live in some crazy place. Never a dull moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well... Management painted their buildings and now putting up signs. I hope rent doesn't increase even more because of those minor things!

    I hope your daughter stays safe. How scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it doesn't increase too much either. A few years ago it increased $300.

      Delete
  12. Well given which neighborhood it is, everybody should have cameras there LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure seems like a lot of people do.

      Delete
  13. Hopefully the presence of the patrol will deter some people, but it's a shame they're not doing more. Definitely worth having a camera around there!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem like they are deterring anyone from doing anything.

      Delete
  14. I remember thinking it was so odd that one of the neighbors had cameras all around the outside of their house when we first moved into the neighborhood and now they are commonplace. On a walk the other day, a computer generated sounding voice said, "You are being recorded" as I was on the sidewalk in front of their driveway. I thought that was a bit much. The cameras don't seem to really deter crime much. That's scary about the man with the knife. I am glad your daughter was able to get inside. I hope you are having a good week, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the cameras don't seem to deter much at all.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.