Tuesday, July 02, 2019

Review: Releasing Rage by Cynthia Sax


Book Description

Half Man. Half Machine. All Hers.
Rage, the Humanoid Alliance's most primitive cyborg, has two goals--kill all of the humans on his battle station and escape to the Homeland. The warrior has seen the darkness in others and in himself. He believes that's all he's been programmed to experience.
Until he meets Joan.

Joan, the battle station's first female engineer, has one goal--survive long enough to help the big sexy cyborg plotting to kill her. Rage might not trust her but he wants her. She sees the passion in his eyes, the caring in his battle-worn hands, the gruff emotion in his voice.

When Joan survives the unthinkable, Rage's priorities are tested. Is there enough room in this cyborg's heart for both love and revenge?

Releasing Rage is a dark BBW Cyborg SciFi Romance.


My Review

As the first female engineer, she has most of the male engineers hating her because they think her job should have gone to a male. They see her as nothing more than a cyborg's whore when she's able to calm Rage down by being submissive to him and he doesn't instantly kill her. Rage is a tool made by the humans, nothing more than a killing machine. He was made to kill the aliens that are warring with the humans and he does his job well, too well. He killed his last handler because the man tortured him and abused him. But Joan is different, she see's past the killing machine to the man who is also there and she finds him attractive even if she's afraid he'll kill her when he's done with her. 

So she does what she has to in order to get Rage to trust her enough that she can be his engineer and keep him in working order so that he can keep going on his missions. But while he's gone, the other engineers taunt her and plot to kill her. 

Even though Rage doesn't trust her or any human because of what they've done to him and how they treat him, he comes to care for her. They find out that the cyborg's are in danger and have to find a way to deal with that. I actually liked this story and I liked Joan and Rage as a couple for the most part. There were a few things that bothered me and detracted from the enjoyment of the story a bit so I think this story really had potential that just came in a little short. I'll add why it came up short for me below. Warning: There are spoilers ahead. 

Spoilers ahead:

This is a very dark SciFi romance. It should have come with a trigger warning but it didn't so I'm giving you one now. This story contains a brutal gang rape/beating at the hands of the male engineers. The other thing is she goes into this job as his engineer knowing or at least believing that he'll kill her when he's done with her. Why in the world would she work so hard for this type of job? That made little sense to me. One last thing...Joan worked on a farm with cows and was smart enough to take birth control so when she starts gaining weight and her belly starts protruding, she's too stupid to figure out she's pregnant? 

End of spoilers. 

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. 

38 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I suspect I would have shared your reservations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such things would turn me off too. Characters just acting out of character that was supposedly set up and being dumb, pfft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seemed so unbelievable that she wouldn't have known she was pregnant.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure it would be my kind of book I confess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably wouldn't have read it if I had known about some of it.

      Delete
  5. I love cyborg stories, but yeah, this one would leave me unsettled for the same reasons. Glad it had some good stuff, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too but this one was just ehh with a mostly great story.

      Delete
  6. Some parts good, some parts not, oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. An average book but good review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, lots of questions...not sure this one is for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the story but some of it was a bit confusing.

      Delete
  9. Interesting set up but I think I would have the same issues you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It left a lot of questions about how dumb she is. lol

      Delete
  10. Don’t think this one is for me, but I don’t read a lot of sci-fi

    www.thepulpitandthepen.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. awesome article..
    thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geez... she's this super smart engineer that can't figure out she's pregnant? I'll pass on this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my struggle with this too.

      Delete
  13. This sounds...different. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different, that's a good way to put it.

      Delete
  14. Ok, that is strange not figuring out you are pregnant when all the signs are there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one sounds a bit too dark for my taste, thanks for including those spoilers. It does sound like a great read and interesting to see the romance develop. The cyborg plot line sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked most of the story but it does get a wee bit dark at times.

      Delete
  16. Yeah... Definitely should have come with a trigger warning! Holy crap, I'd have DNFd at that point if that had been sprung on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the rest of the story so I had to keep going.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.