Wednesday, March 04, 2020

Favorite Picture of the Week


If you've been reading my blog for long you know that I hadn't figured out how to take pictures at night without them coming out blurry, especially with flashing lights from the police or ambulance. I asked on Twitter if anyone knew and really didn't get any help and looked online ad again, no help. So I sat down with my reading glasses and started pushing buttons on my camera. LOL 

I have a Nikon Coolpix digital camera and on the back is a button that says, "scene". So I pushed it and moved the curser down to scene and on that page are a bunch of outdoor pictures. When you click on them there are modes for "Night Portrait, Landscape, Cloudy day, Rainy, " Ect. So I clicked on Night Portrait and took a picture at night and it's not blurry! I did try to take a picture at night again when the fire truck was out there with the flashing lights and it's still blurry. And I absolutely cannot take the picture from behind my bedroom window because all I get is a picture of the flash reflecting off the window. So weird, right? So I have to be outside, have flash on, put it on night portrait and not have a bunch of flashing lights. So I probably won't be taking many night pictures. I had never turned the flash on at night because then people look at you and I don't want to draw attention to myself if the police are out there. 

I was able to get this picture of the fire truck the other day though. And even though it's night time, the picture isn't as blurry as it usually is. The flashing lights still mess it up a bit though.


I started taking pictures just as the sun came up or at sunset and changing the color too. 


So now I can take a pretty good sunrise picture when it's still really dark outside.


It was really dark outside when I took this one but the moon was lighting this up just enough to be able to get a good picture.


Falcor gets me up early so when I saw a pretty sunrise, I snapped a picture.


I can change the colors too, this one was grey. 


I'm still messing around with buttons and changing colors but we had some really cool sunrises this week.


It was so dark out that the street lights were still on and the picture came out good anyway.


The sunrise between the two apartment buildings. I don't know why that one window lit up like a lighthouse but it made me laugh.


Such a pretty sunrise.


I spotted this one huge cloud out there all by itself. 

65 comments:

  1. I always like sunrises and sunsets for taking photos! I like the one of the tree lit by moonlight. I like taking photos using buildings and trees in them! My digital camera takes really good night photos but I never venture out at night to take any! The cloud is really cool! Great range of photos Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You would think that it would be dangerous to go out at night around here but it's really not.

      Delete
  2. I love these sunrises and the first tree pis is really atmospheric with just that hint of colour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sunrise pictures came out really well, with the interplay of colors and clouds.

    It's too bad the main source of illumination in your area is police car lights, but you should be able to get some decent shots during the occasional quieter times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. lol The police lights are the ones that mess up my night time pictures. But now that I kinda know what my camera can do, I should get some interring pics.

      Delete
  4. Great pics sunrise and sunset are my faves. Glad you figured out the buttons on your camera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I just started pressing buttons. lol

      Delete
  5. nighttime photos are always tricky and i don't like to use a flash either. i loved checking out your pics. keep on shooting. it gets easier
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hate using flash at night.

      Delete
  6. LOVE your experimentation - and those sunrises are glorious.
    Keep playing - and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're getting the hang of it.
    When shooting out your bedroom window, shoot at an angle rather than straight out. That should eliminate most of the reflected flash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't even got a camera so I admire your attempts to get the best possible pictures. Those sunsets are wonderful. The cloud is amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Well, I don't have any kind of cell phone with a camera on it so I had to buy a camera.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures! I love the night sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Our sunrises and sunsets have been really nice lately.

      Delete
  10. The big cloud looks like a jumbo jet. Or, maybe a toilet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao yeah, a toilet. it was so big.

      Delete
  11. Those photos are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These photos are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We enjoyed all of those, your sky looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We have had some really nice sunrises.

      Delete
  14. I still need to use my camera that I bought when i moved out here. I always forget it and end up using my phone which does take great close ups - but sucks for distance or low light.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get a chance to use it soon.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous12:06 PM

    The photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing sunrise and night photos. Just practice and you'll get better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a pretty sunrise

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool pics! Someday I'll figure out all the bells and buttons on my camera. I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it took me a couple of days of pushing buttons to figure out mine.

      Delete
  19. Photography is a advanced form of art.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm convinced that its those new LED lights that the emergency vehicles and even some of the street lights have now that make the camera pics blur out even in night mode.

    You caught some gorgeous sunsets and sunrises, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That could definitely be true. The lights are super bright now. Thank you.

      Delete
  21. I love taking pictures! Great job with the sunrises and taking nightime photos :)

    Lindy@ A Bookish Escape

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great shots indeed. Sunrises and sunsets are great times to get some shots, just don't get shot. In your neighborhood, who knows lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh nice pics. I like the sunrise/ sunset ones especially, with the wall and the apartment buildings...

    ReplyDelete
  24. These came out great. I love sunset pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I tried different setting on my camera, and need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just kept trying all the buttons.

      Delete
  26. Wow Mary, these are amazing! I though I'd drool just over the first photo when I noticed, it's not the only one... Nice short, really.

    - Fit Studs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shots, lol xD

      Delete
    2. Thank you. We had some wonderful sunrises this week.

      Delete
  27. It's so fun to find new settings on your camera and play with them. Glad you've got a way to take better night pics now. Love the sunrise pics too!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. I didn't know it could do so many different things.

      Delete
  28. Good photographs, I especially like the sunrise ones :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  29. That's neat you figured out some options on your camera for the night pictures. And those sunrises pictures look really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those are great sunrise photos and I also love the light on in one window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That one light was bright no matter what I did. I wonder if it's a different kind of glass or something.

      Delete
  31. I love playing with camera settings. You've got some cool pictures here!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the tree photos! 🌳✨

    I need to sit down and figure out the modes on my canera, too. The only thing that is holding me back is I'm afraid I won't be able to get back to the setting I take my book IG photos with. Ha ha. 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Write down what the settings are at before you go messing with it.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.