Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Book Discussion: Alien Romance

 
You might have noticed that I've been reading a lot of alien romances this year. I know some of my blogger friends also like alien romance books so I thought it would be interesting to list a few reasons why I/we (if you'd like to play along) like alien romance.


Alien Planets/World Building
Just look at the picture above that I selected for this discussion. You're not going to see anything like that on Earth but you might on an alien planet. Sometimes the author will describe something so alien (see what I did there?) that it takes a wild imagination to picture it in your head. Good thing I have a wild imagination, eh? You never know what you might find on an alien planet. Live volcanoes? Sentient rocks? Plant people? An atmosphere that isn't breathable for humans? Animals that can communicate with you? Several moons that are super close or other planets that you can take an alien space ship to in a matter of minutes? You never know what you might find on an alien planet. And that's the fun part because an author can add whatever elements they want, it doesn't have to be believable. 

The Aliens Themselves
With the description of some of these tall, sexy aliens...I'm almost hoping that aliens visit us in my lifetime. As long as it's the friendly aliens and not the evil aliens that I've seen described. Some of the evil ones are described as spider-like, or balls of mud that smell like year old trash. Yeah, I'll pass on those. But some 7 foot tall, muscle bound, blue guy with long black, sentient hair and horns. Or a tail that you might need an XXX rated mind to realize the reason we ladies (or men) might be very intrigued by. *Eyebrow/waggle* And the fact that he will do anything for his mate once he finds the one. *Sigh* Yes please. 


New Languages and Technology
More often than not the aliens have their own languages and we humans have to be implanted with a universal translator in order to understand them. But if the human in question if found by their mate out in the alien wilderness because they escaped the evil aliens and are on the run and just happen to run across a friendly alien who is their mate...they might not have the universal translator tech with them so they have to find a way to communicate with each other until the alien can get them safely back to their village and be implanted with one. 

While the alien might have a universal translator implanted to they can understand everything the human is saying and hilarity ensues because of it. I love those funny moments in scenarios like that. But having the heroine in danger and the alien save her and be her hero even if she can't understand him, is one of my favorite scenarios. It's such an adventure for them and if they have to fight through some evil aliens or alien wild animals/plants in order to get to safety, all the better. 

So if you read alien romance, why do you like it?

30 comments:

  1. Smiling here, though it isn't a genre I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that they can use their imagination to build whatever kind of world they want.

      Delete
  2. Interesting thoughts. Science fiction in general can be very imaginative about alien planets and environments. Such differences could form a major element in any story, especially if it takes human characters a while to figure out the differences. Part of the challenge for the writer is making things hang together logically (a super-close moon would mean super-high tides, for example).

    I read a lot of science fiction and I've read some stories that involved sex or even romantic relationships between humans and aliens, but they probably aren't the kind of alien romance stories you're talking about.

    If aliens exist, unfortunately it's very unlikely that they'd bear any resemblance to humans (or to spiders or to any other Earthly species). Evolution just wouldn't do that, working independently on a different planet. All the more so if the environment is really different. I wouldn't even expect to see a really close equivalent of our male-female difference.

    Language problems would certainly be an issue. That would seem to be a real barrier to romantic connections, though.

    As for sex with fictional humanoid aliens, I'm curious what the appeal is. Why would features like blue skin, horns, or a tail make a character more attractive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true about the moon. Interesting take on it. I think we read different kinds of stories for sure. Oh I'm sure that if aliens are out there they look nothing like the ones in these stories I read.

      I think the appeal of sex with aliens is as long as the aliens are sexy to us, it would be even better since in most of the stories they are nice. They want to care for us and make us their number one priority. Horns are just sexy and you'll have to use your imagination about that tail.

      Delete
  3. Makes me think of Avatar. Not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic! I don't read a lot of alien romance, but I have loved the sci-fi genre since I was young. For me, it's the science that initially drew me in... thinking about what good be, but making it logical and based in truth. I also love that hard subjects like discrimination or environmental disasters can be explored so fully while hidden under the guise of "not real." As I got older and started reading romances, blending the two together was a great find. Because I do love my HEA and add some science into it! YES PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I agree with all of that too. I like the blending together with romance too. I started out reading horror and found some monsters along with romance really made for a good read.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of alien romance novels but I don't think it would appeal to me. Now Sci-fi I like very much but haven't read one of those books in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot of alien romances. So you've probably seen a few on my blog.

      Delete
  6. You certainly make a good case for the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm totally with you on the cool and unique alien worlds that authors create...they're very fun to imagine! And all the heroic aliens that are so tough on the outside, but so gentle, too, are also a huge draw. I've just been reading Honey Phillips' Seven Brides for Seven Alien Brothers Series and thoroughly enjoying it for many of these reasons. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read a couple of her books too and really liked them.

      Delete
  8. I've never read alien romances but I do like aliens. I wonder if aliens in other worlds read human romances?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of the reasons I enjoy fantasy. I love the supernatural creatures, magic etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of this genre,
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've probably seen some of the books on my blog.

      Delete
  11. I've enjoyed the Ruby Dixon Ice Planet Barbarians and enjoyed them, but haven't read any other alien romances. Fun topic, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they are already here, Lady Gaga is their queen matrix on Earth LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lmao Now that is interesting. Could be.

      Delete
  13. I share this excitement and fascination for alien worlds and aliens in romance. Great post, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read about a lot of paranormals, but not a lot of alien romance. These are all great reasons though! It can definitely be fun exploring new worlds and seeing what sort of creative stuff an author can come up for an alien species. But I will also pass on the spider-like ones lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol The spider ones were just creepy.

      Delete
  15. I love science fiction romance books, but haven't read a lot of them with aliens yet. I love well done world building and exploring new worlds. The new technology and interesting aliens are fun to read about too. I haven't read a lot with language barrier yet, but it can be interesting to see how they find ways to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like watching the two different species get to know one another and find they have things in common.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.