Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Why Is My Electrical Outlet Sparking and Popping?

The electrical outlet on the wall in my kitchen started popping when we had the microwave turned on. So we plugged the microwave into a different outlet thinking that would solve the problem. It didn't and this outlet started sparking when nothing was even plugged into it and it was still making popping noises for no reason. So one night when it popped and I saw sparks coming out of the outlet, I called Ken who removed the outlet and replaced it with a new one. 

We've lived here for 20 years and in all that time this outlet has never been changed so it might have just gone bad or something. Ken has done apartment and Hotel maintenance for more than 20 years so he knew exactly what to do thankfully. He said that the good news was there were no burn marks on the outlet or any of the wires in the wall. 

As you can see this outlet was old and I feel much better now that we have a new one. It's been 2 weeks and there have been no popping or sparking going on from the outlet so now I feel much better. I think seeing those sparks flying out of this outlet shaved a few years off my life though. lol