Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Favorite Picture of the Week


If you know what this is, you're probably as old as dirt or at least as old as I am. Or maybe you've seen them somewhere. These are old 8mm films. When I was young, my parents video taped us and played these tapes back on a projector. There's no sound to them and so many of them are so old that there's not much left on the tapes. Years ago my mom had a lot of it transferred over to a VHS tape and I still have that. But I was going through some old boxes and found these and thought it would be fun to share. 


This is what the films look like up close. I don't have the projector anymore. That is long gone but I still have the tapes sitting in a box. I just couldn't throw them away when I found them in my mom's closet when she passed away 7 years ago. These films are 40 years old and even though I can't play them and the films might be all messed up from time, I still keep them for sentimental reasons. 

I'm guessing everyone has some old something that they don't use but still keeps in a box somewhere. 

One more thing. 

Yesterday I was a guest reviewer over at I Smell Sheep. I reviewed Leopard's Run by Christine Feehan. Damn, you guys, I had such a good time with this one. 


Book Description
Timur Amurov has one purpose in life: protect his family at all costs. With lethal skills honed from a violent upbringing, Timur is a leopard shifter who sees any newcomers as possible threats--and the petite blond barista who his sister-in-law, Evangeline, has hired to work in her bakery is definitely hiding something. While Timur still needs to determine if Ashe is an enemy, he does know that she is the only woman whose presence has ever truly calmed the beast roaring inside of him. 

Ashe Bronte is well aware she has a type: sexy, gorgeous and dangerous as hell. Despite the fact that Timur is all those things and more, Ashe is in San Antonio for reasons that do not involve getting wild with a ruthless leopard--and she cannot afford to make any mistakes. But Timur has ignited something deep within her, and even though she knows she should keep her distance, every move he makes has her craving a taste... 

You can read my review over at I Smell Sheep




34 comments:

  1. I am older than dirt. I well remember those - and slide nights. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Oh yeah, having to sit through hours of silent films.

      Delete
  2. Yep! We have those, too. My aunt got them all put on discs before the film deteriorated too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom put them on a vhs tapes. They guy said he couldn't get all of it because they were all deteriorated too much.

      Delete
  3. I'm guessing everyone has some old something that they don't use but still keeps in a box somewhere.

    Far too many. Probably inevitable since technology now moves so fast that a person's lifespan can now cover several such successions (the VHS that succeeded 8mm film was succeeded in turn by digital video, for example).

    But what I have the most of is books. They've held their pre-eminent place for thousands of years and I doubt they'll lose it any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I think the Dad here remembers when dirt was young! We have some of those reels here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised so many of you commenting have them.

      Delete
  5. My grandfather had a ton of those. We made them into a DVD way after he passed. Love Feehan's books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife has quite a few of those. There are companies that will transfer them to DVD for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe you'll find a projector one day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! My parents had slides we would look at on the projector. I will have to ask my mom what happened to them. I always enjoyed seeing the pictures up on the screen when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, that is lovely that you keep them

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, I'm old too!
    I didn't have 8mm though, but remember being bored to tears by my grandparents' slide shows of their holiday trips. Thank goodness that fad has passed by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen them at my grandmother's. I'll let her be old as dirt haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I'm a grandma and old as dirt too.

      Delete
  12. My parents didn't have a camera like that but my husband's did. It's fun to watch my husband when he as a little kid, even without the sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird to see me as a kid. I hardly remember being that bouncy. lol

      Delete
  13. My Uncle Bob used to play old films on his projector for us. We always thought it was fun to watch them. Cool that you still have some in your possession!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's pretty cool. It's a shame that you can't see what's on them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of trying to have them transferred to a DVD.

      Delete
  15. LOL! I don't have any sitting around, but I'm definitely old enough to have seen a few. Isn't Christine Feehan just wonderful? I really love her books! Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  16. My family didn't have anything to record this kind of movie but I remember that my uncle did. I am pretty sure that there is some video of me as a little girl running around in a box at their house :)

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.