Sunday, January 08, 2023

Apartment Life/Life Update #348

 
This is a weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell  Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that go on in and around my apartment complex in the past 25 years that we've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 25 years here in a weekly blog post. 


Life Update:

My diabetes is a little better under control. My blood sugar numbers are consistently around 150 now instead of the 350-400 that they had been. I won't know for a couple more months what my A1C is but since I brought it down from 10.1 to 8.5 this last time, I'm sure it will be good. 

My doctor increased my blood pressure medicine and put me on a beta blocker 3 times a day and that has helped my blood pressure come down from 197/98 to 160/90, while it's still a little high, it's much better than it was. 

I broke a rib or the cartilage between the ribs a couple of weeks ago when I tripped over my slippers and fell into my dresser in the middle of the night after Falcor got me up at 4am to go out. lol It's much less painful now so it's healing up. 

Oh and I'm down a dress size. My clothes started feeling a bit big on me and my daughter told me I looked like I had lost some weight, so I bought a pair of pants and a shirt one size lower than what I had been wearing and they fit. So that made my day. I didn't start weighing myself until recently so I have no idea how much I lost.
---

Two people were fighting one courtyard over from mine where the office and pool is located. The police showed up and two people were arrested. It looked to me like they both had hit each other and they both had blood on their faces. So they were probably arrested for mutual combat. I don't know who they were, I didn't recognize either of them from around here. 

I watched this guy get something handed to him right at the door of drug dealer's apartment. He went over here, was smoking meth or something from one of those glass crack pipes and then he passed out right here. It would do no good to call the police because they would either never show up or just ask him to leave. I had my taser with me that day just because you never know how someone who's high will react to you being by them even if you keep your distance which I did. 
----


My daughter was sitting outside Wednesday night with her friend and two police officers came into my courtyard. 

They made their way across the courtyard to the two end apartments where several kids live. The parents are completely irresponsible and let the kids play in the courtyard completely unsupervised all day and half the night. I see the 6 year old and 8 year old playing in the alley late at night all alone all the time, it's ridiculous. Well a delivery driver must have seen the same thing and thought no one was home watching the kids because he called the police to do a welfare check. 

The mother in the second apartment talked to the police. When the police found an adult home, they left. It's too bad they didn't show up the other day when the 6 year old was outside at 11PM wearing nothing but a diaper when it was 55F. I don't know what's going on with the kids in these two apartments but the police won't do anything as long as they aren't left home alone which I don't think they are. 

I have a feeling this won't be the last time the police will be here for these kids. The two that live in the corner apartment haven't been in school for months and are outside starting at 7am some days until 11PM most days. They scream and yell, throw rocks and I know the people who have bedroom windows near them are getting tired of all the noise and no parental supervision. Others are going to start calling the police if the parents don't do something to calm the kids down.
---

The high this week was 53F/11C
The low this week was 35F/1C

So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell  Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

64 comments:

  1. Well done on the positive changes to your health.
    Sigh at the other issues. Those poor children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't know what's going on with the mom of those kids.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear about the positive health news. Some agency need to do something about those kids, though. With all the creepy characters that hang around your area, letting small kids play outside unsupervised is insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is but I doubt anyone would do anything about it. Thank you, my health at least is better.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the broken rib and the apartment dramas. Hope you are better soon and everything else quiets down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really impressed with your numbers! It takes serious effort to accomplish what you have accomplished! I hate people who don't take care of their children. Shameful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really been trying. I'm just glad that I can see a little change for the effort I've been putting in.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Mary!

    With daily high temps only in the mid 50s and overnight lows in the mid 30s and the heart of winter approaching, it's a crime to leave children outdoors without proper clothing, not to mention the alarming lack of parental supervision. Those folks are going to fool around until little Johnny gets hurt or killed in one of those neighborhood gun battles, attacked by one of the drug dealer's clients like that zonked meth head or abducted by a creep who's cruising the hood and spots a very soft target. It's a bitter irony that the cops can take action if a kid is left home alone behind closed doors in relative safety, but can't do anything if the kids are playing in a dark alley late at night while the parents are home. I shudder to think what's to become of those kids.

    I am very happy to read the good news about your improving health stats and weight loss. Now that you are able to fit into a size smaller outfit, it will give you confidence to stay the course and shed more pounds.

    I'm sorry to learn that you broke a rib or cartilage a while back. People with pets that wake them up in the middle of the night need to be extra careful not to trip over their animals or stumble over shoes or furniture in the dark. I know, because our black cat is almost impossible to see in the dim light, and I have had many close calls when he comes to get me in the wee hours wanting to go outside on the screened porch.

    Stay safe and well and have a great week, dear friend Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even have a nightlight on and still managed to trip. That takes talent. Hopefully the kids all stick together and nothing happens to them around here. I am definitely making good progress.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the improved health issues and weight loss - a great start to 2023!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Horrible people to abuse their kids that way.
    Glad all of your numbers are headed in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The authorities didn't see it as abuse so I don't know if anything can be done about it. Thank you. It's nice to be able to see a reward for all the effort I'm putting in.

      Delete
  8. I drink beta blockers too, two times a day for my poor ticky-ticker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be helping.

      Delete
    2. Try to mix some honey with cinnamon and eat a spoonful in the morning too, that is good both for the heart and diabetus.

      Delete
  9. The kid thing is so disturbing. It’s a cycle with people like that,unfortunately.

    Great health news! I went to an endocrinologist this week for the first time. I wanted a consult on numerous issues that have all started in the last 5 years after menopause. She was very helpful and is putting me in the right direction, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope they help with the issues you are having.

      Delete
  10. Good job on lowering the blood sugar numbers. It's still a bit of a worry that you have to take stronger and more meds to get BP down. I blame it on the crap you have to live with going on in the complex. Are those neglectful parents Drug Dealer customers or are they just lousy parents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just lousy parents.

      Thank you. Hopefully the blood pressure will lower now too. Stress isn't helping that's for sure.

      Delete
  11. At least you have some good news about you to share this time! (Except for the injured rib - but with a little patience, it will heal itself). And no gunshots...only a good old-fashioned mutual combat LOL.

    Social services should definitely do something about those kids, no matter if there's an adult at home. It sounds like they're left to their own device all the time, plus being in a diaper when it's 55? Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to share the good news since it's always bad news around here. I've seen thus with kids around here before. Nothing will be done unless there's actual abuse.

      Delete
  12. Glad the police are making their rounds. I'm glad your health is getting better. My mom had diabetes and it was a long battle. I still remember doing fun dance workouts with her for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great news on your health, keep it up. Unsupervised kids is not good and they are bound to get in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Hopefully the kids will be fine around here if they are all out at the same time keeping an eye on each other.

      Delete
  14. Parents that fail to supervise their children are low on my list for receiving respect. Glad your A1C is down--hope you can get it down further as well as your blood pressure. I have never had. blood pressure issue, but after something attacked my pancreas a dozen or so years ago, have been on insulin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People should supervise their kids, but so many don't.

      I hope I can bring my blood pressure down a bit more.

      Delete
  15. Glad to hear about your improved health numbers. Social services should definitely get involved in the unsupervised kids' issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Social services will only get involved if there is signs of abuse which I don't see.

      Delete
  16. Good health news if not apartment news.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a nice health report, keep up the fantastic work, it's not easy but you are getting it done. I hope the neighbor with kids gets busted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes sorry tohear about the fall! I hope you're feeling better quickly. And the kids. wow. Outside like that in a diaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too cold to be outside wearing nothing.

      Delete
  19. Congrats on all the hard work that you have been doing to eat better having some great results! That is too bad that those kids are left unsupervised. I hate to see kids not get what they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully things change for the kids.

      Delete
  20. I'm so happy you are feeling better. Good work on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad the numbers are approving.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on all the health improvements, I'm sure that feels great. Sorry about the ribs though, owwww! And my heart breaks for those kids - when I was a teacher I saw this sort of thing far too often and when you report to CPS nothing happens.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know cps won't do anything. They've been out before for other mids, same situation and nothing was done.

      Thank you.

      Delete
  23. Glad the blood sugar is improving. Oh my gosh on your ribs. Glad it’s less painful now. Still. Ouch! Agreed, likely not the last time to police will be there. PS: Great job on the weight and clothes feeling better. Happy Dance!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is great news about your blood sugar levels and the weight loss. My in laws both have diabetes so I know the struggle to maintain those numbers isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay for getting your blood sugars lower and losing weight. Way to go! :D And I feel sorry for those kids. It's sad when parents don't know how to parent, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  26. First and most important, congrats on your A1C. I'm diabetic also so I can fully appreciate what a HUGE accomplishment that truly is. Several years ago, I used my primary care facility weight loss program and lost about 75 lbs and got my A1C down to 6.2 from 10.4 and it hovers around there now. The drastic change in the amount of meds I take is incredible. I truly thought I'd never do it, but I know it can be done, so I know you'll be able to do it also. I'm with you all the way! You're a strong, determined woman...just keep at it and don't let any set backs knock you off your long term goals.

    I think all apartment complexes are the same way. I lived in one for a short time. The things you see are things you definitely can't unsee and the neighbors! OMG! I swear I had the neighbors from hell. Every time they would leave, their kids would crank up the music so loud it would make the walls vibrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragemnent. I'm happy you were able to get your numbers down too. I know it's not easy.

      I'm sure most apartment complexes are the same. Although we had a shooting here last week.

      Delete
  27. It sounds like things are looking up for you physically. Congratulations.

    I am very sad to hear about these neglected children. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Their situation is sad but I've seen it before

      Delete
  28. Some thoroughly irresponsible parenting going on there. If the parents are already so neglectful I doubt if they'll change their behaviour any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh no! I am glad your rib is healing, but ouch! I am glad you have been able to keep your diabetes under control, Mary. I'm high risk and seem to go back and forth on the prediabetes scale.

    I don't think the police would be able to do much regarding the children playing outside if the parents are home--but then I suppose it depends on your state and local laws. Something would probably have to happen, unfortunately, like an injury. It's really more of a social services issue, and even then it might not rise to the level for their intervention at this point, depending on their legal criteria.

    I hope you are having a good week and continue to heal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I've seen this same type of situation before here and cps isn't able to do anything unless there is actual abuse.

      My rib is healing, thank you.

      Delete
  30. So happy to hear that your health continues to improve. That's such great news, with the exception of the broken rib. I hope you heal quickly.

    What a shame about those kids. I hope that they are getting the love and nurturing they deserve, but it sounds like maybe not.

    I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My rib is healing quickly. Hopefully the mids are alright.

      Delete
  31. Yay for the weight loss and better numbers! Keep up the good work. 🏆

    It's too bad about the kids. They'll grow up to be like the parents. A never-ending circle. 😔

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.