Monday, July 23, 2012

Time To Prune The Family Tree

Family Tree's

Cutting a family member out of your life isn't an easy thing to do but sometimes it has to be done. Is it time to prune your family tree? if you answer yes to any of these questions..it might be. 

*Does the family member constantly lie about even the smallest of things?

*Does the family member always bring drama into your life and seem to like to cause problems for you?

*Does the family member consistently say they will do things and then show you that they really only care about themselves by never following through with their word?

*Does this family member constantly make their problems the center of attention even when others are having a worst time of it?

Does this family member always put himself above others and act in ways that show you they only care about themselves?

*Does this family member lie and make up details about their own life to make themselves sound worst off than they actually are?

*Does this family member's extended family cut them off or stopped talking to them because of their bad attitude?

*Has this family member been a danger to others physically?

*Is this family member not trustworthy?

If you answered yes to most of these questions about a family member, it may be time to cut them out of your life. it's not an easy thing to do but if they are making your life hell...it may be the right thing to do. 

I cut a family member out of my life for 10 years because of his ongoing drinking. He was a very mean drunk and I didn't want that atmosphere around my small child. Now that he doesn't drink anymore, he's much easier to get along with. 

I am about to cut another member of my family off. it's not a decision I take lightly and not something I look forward to doing, but I answered yes to everyone of those questions...this person just isn't someone I want in  my life any longer. 

Many family tree's need pruning. You need a sharp pair of shears, a steady hand and the determination to stick with your decision. 

That old saying is true...you can't pick your family members but you can pick your friends. Just because they are blood doesn't mean you have to put up with their nonsense. 



6 comments:

  1. Been there, done that. Life is such a relief afterwards. Did you know you can actually have a lovely Thanksgiving where no one cries?? Staggering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, Mary. This sort of thing is always difficult, especially since family members know exactly what buttons to push.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep I've cut off, pulverized, and burned two very closely related branches of my family tree. And honestly, I couldn't be more happy. I have no room in my life for addicts, users, abusers, and selfish people. You can only try to help so much before those types of people bring you down with them. I just wish other people in my family would realize this as well. It's sad to see people I love being monetarily and emotionally taken advantage of :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sad really, when you just don't have any other choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've cut off two brothers and an uncle, because they are just unsavory human beings who mooch and disrespect and take advantage. It was hard to prune the tree, but I'm so much happier now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it just has to be done.

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.