Saturday, October 05, 2019

Recipe: Vegetarian Pulled Pork Sandwiches using Jackfruit


 I first heard of jackfruit in a blog post over at Herding Cats & Burning Soup blog, and ever since seeing that recipe, I've been wanting to try it. Yeah, it took me a while to get around to it and to talk Ken into trying it but I finally did. The recipe is pretty easy but I changed a couple of things mostly because I don't like garlic or ginger so I didn't use either of those things. But I did use some garlic powder since I can handle the taste of that and don't find it over powering. 


I watched a couple of Youtube videos about preparing jackfruit so I rinsed the jackfruit, squeezed out the seeds and cut off the core ( hard part of jackfruit) and then shredded the rest of it with my fingers. It shreds really easily. 


Then I added the onion to the pan and sauteed it until the onions were sufficiently cooked, about 10 minutes. 


Then I added the bbq seasoning, garlic powder and bbq sauce. Turned the heat down to low and let it simmer for 5 minutes. 


I made coleslaw with it and added a little to my sandwich along with the bbq,  jackfruit mixture. Ken and our daughter ate this for dinner as well and it was good.  I'm surprised I got them both to try it but they both liked it. 

Recipe

You will need:
2- 14 oz cans young green jackfruit
1/2 medium sweet yellow onion- diced
2 tbsp bbq seasoning
3/4 cup bbq sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Directions
Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Cut off hard core part and remove any seeds you find.
Shred the jackfruit with your fingers.
Add jackfruit and diced onion to pan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until onions are cooked through.
Add bbq sauce, garlic powder and bbq seasoning mix. Simmer over low heat for another 5 minutes and serve on a bun. 

26 comments:

  1. How interesting. Thank you. I am a vegetarian and never heard of using jackfruit this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard about it before, looks yum!☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing Anna's post, but admit I haven't tried anything with jackfruit yet. A creative way to substitute meat for a barbeque treat, and glad the fam enjoyed it. Happy Saturday! RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was curious so wanted to try it. It was pretty good.

      Delete
  4. Yay for it turning out well, Mary. I remember Anna's post and getting curious about jack fruit. Neat that you followed up and did a recipe with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to try new things.

      Delete
  5. I've heard of jackfruit but didn't know it came in a can. It looks exactly like cooked pulled pork. That is crazy! What was the texture like and does it have any flavor on its own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't have any flavor by itself. Kinda like what I would imagine tofu to be. It just takes on whatever flavor you give it. The texture was not as hard as real meat and a little soft.

      Delete
  6. Always good when everyone likes it and enjoys it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting food for sure.

      Delete
  7. Yeah I saw when Anna made this too Mary I think I may try it too because I've been trying to add a little meatless dinners once in a while Thanks it does look pretty easy. I can get Jackfruit both fresh and in a can which would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had fresh just the canned so I don't know.

      Delete
  8. We never heard of jackfruit but the recipe sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen something like this before. I really need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daisy likes those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to google what that would be in my language 0_0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I hope you can figure it out. It's just a fruit.

      Delete
  12. I also had BBQ Pulled Pork sandwiches last week, but I didn't use any substitutions.

    Sounds like you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.