Thursday, January 05, 2023

Low Carb Recipe: Bacon and Turnip Hash

 

I never liked turnips as a kid but I decided to try them again mixed in a hash with other stuff. This recipe was enough to feed three people. 

You will need: 

1/2 package of bacon- diced
1 turnip- diced
3 mushrooms- diced
1/2 yellow onion- diced
1/2 bell pepper- diced
6 eggs
1 avocado- sliced
1 tsp. butter
Salt and Pepper to taste


What To Do: 

Cut the package of bacon in half and slice into small pieces. Add to pan over medium heat and fry until almost done. Drain off most of the oil, add turnips, mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. Sauté over medium heat until everything is tender. The bacon will lose some of its crispiness but will crisp up again as it cooks. Stir frequently so nothing burns. 

In another pan add butter to pan over medium heat, after butter has melted add beaten eggs and cook your eggs to the way you like them. 

Serve with sliced avocado. 

You can use turnips in place of potatoes and because they are only about 8 grams of carbs for each turnip, they are good for low carb diets. 

Would you try this?

45 comments:

  1. I would leave out the bacon but like all the other flavours/textures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can definitely make this without the bacon. Its so good.

      Delete
  2. You really can't taste the turnips? Because I can't stand them either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can taste them, but they aren't bad mixed in with everything else.

      Delete
  3. I would try this.

    I'm not sure I've eaten turnips since I was tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m not sure I’ve ever tried a turnip. What do they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to explain, they ate kinda sweet.

      Delete
  5. I'll try this, no bacon 😢 but everything else. I think the avocado would be a great addition too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious! I love healthy recipes that will work with my WW plan. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting list of ingredients. I do love finding new ways to use avocados..

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL... I didn't have my glasses on. I read that as 'bacon and trump hash'. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I would give it a go, Mary. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for putting "turnips" in my mind, as I'm working on sticking to a healthier diet. They just don't pack the flavor, but mixed with the right stuff, they give a needed crunchy taste.

    Happy, healthy New Year, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mixed in with other stuff, they aren't bad.

      Delete
  11. I'm not a big fan of turnips,but everything else about this recipe sounds good. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big turnip fan either but mixed in with other stuff hey aren't bass.

      Delete
  12. How could adding bacon NOT make turnips better. Though I am not a fan, it does look yummy on that plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bacon makes everything better. Lol

      Delete
  13. Sounds tasty. I don't eat turnips often but do like them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never eaten turnips until recently. I find that I like them much more than I thought I would. Recipe looks nom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like turnips and bacon, it's a win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, this sounds like it would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Turnips hash sound interesting.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love avocados and I like turnips when I make them. I always forget about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised I can eat them now.

      Delete
  19. Love the seethrough plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol My daughter took the picture while she was still in bed. I only have one of these glass plates.

      Delete
  20. Mom used to always use turnips in soup. I love them when I get a chance to have them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never had turnips in anything other than my aunt's boiled dinners. I'll have to try fixing them differently. 🍽

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.