Sunday, July 05, 2020

Apartment Life #209



This is a new weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell  Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that go on in and around my apartment complex in the past 21 years that we've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 21 years here in a weekly blog post.



This week an ambulance and fire truck was parked across the street from my bedroom on the street and then I saw that one of the firemen was talking to someone in a blue car around the corner. They stood there talking for a few minutes and then everyone left. I have no idea what that was about. 

----


For those of you that have an electric stove you probably knew exactly what this was when you looked at it. For those that have a gas stove, this is the heating element on one of my burners. It's supposed to be smooth like the top and bottom but that one side of that ring in the middle decided to get super white hot, start throwing out sparks like the 4th of July and partially melt that part of my heating element on the burner. I will tell you it scared the holy jeebus outta me. When I saw it sparking like molten metal and that small part was white hot while the rest of it glowed red, I quickly turned that burner off, ran into the living room, grabbed my daughter and grandson and hid in the hallway just in case it exploded. LOL Yes, we did. But it cooled down and I was able to turn in a work order to get a replacement. 

----

Life Update: 

Ken still hasn't seen the Oncologist for the test results, we still have to wait a few days for that. There's a lot of hurry up and wait it seems. 


So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell  Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

55 comments:

  1. I am glad that the hot plate didn't explode. You were lucky. I hope the replacement comes soon.
    Hurry up and wait is one of my least favourite things. I do hope that the wait ends quickly. In a hurry even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maintenance did come out and replace it. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. OMG - thank goodness everyone is safe! That had to be so scary. Waiting for news has to be so rough, and I hope that you hear something soon. Hugs, RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was scary but they replaced it for me.

      Delete
  3. I much prefer gas stoves to electric ones, cooking is quicker like million times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so used to electric and that's all we're allowed in these apartments.

      Delete
  4. That was scary. We have a glass top stove.
    Hope you get some answers soon about Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow so the heating element wore through? I’ve never heard of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either but we've also had the stove for 20 years.

      Delete
  6. That had to be pretty scary with the stove. We sure hope Ken gets some answers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice red truck! Hopefully, no work for the firemen.
    The presence of the ambulance might indicate they needed fireman's help to get into some appartment to rescue an ill person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gee a fairly tame week at your place, at least when it comes to police activity. I have a friend who was diagnosed some time ago, he says the same thing, a lot of hurry up and wait. I hope you will have answers soon.

    About 15 years ago, I was baking cookies. The 'brain' of my oven shorted out and it began heating up. And up and up and up. Destroyed my cookie sheet. NO idea how hot it got. We had to replace that electronic part, it was more than 200 bucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much waiting. Yikes, that's not good either.

      Delete
  9. I saw three cop cars last week at my mom's house. Not sure what happened but her neighbor must have been the victim of something

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would have scared me. Ken and you are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg, that would be scary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol, I don't blame you for grabbing your family and hiding in the hall! The last thing you need is for that to explode or catch fire. Hopefully they fix it quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know what was happening with it. lol They did come out and replace it for me.

      Delete
  13. I actually had the heating element of my stove do the same thing in one of my apartments years ago! It took me a few minutes to realize it was the stove and not the pot causing the issue!

    I continue to send all my best and positive thoughts to you and Ken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that crazy? I thought something had caught fire at first. lol Thank you.

      Delete
  14. Yikes that's scary about the burner! Glad things were okay. And good luck when Ken see the oncologist. Thinking and praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have had electrical stoves, but in the last two houses, I have taken them out and put in gas stoves. But changing the elements is easy to do. I hope your husband's results are better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The maintenance came and changed the elements for us. Thank you.

      Delete
  16. I always go with gas. I like cooking with it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have that but we get what they give us. Most apartments here don't have gas hookups in them.

      Delete
  17. man oh man, i don't know if i could deal with all that chaos. you must be well grounded and i'm glad to stove issue worked out
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never a dull moment! 😏 Right, Mary? 😃

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have hide until I knew it was safe too! Hopefully the replacement part will come soon.

    You and your family continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That was a scary stove story. Hope you get one that works and hopefully Ken will get some answers soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They replaced the part of the stove.

      Delete
  21. I would have been hiding due to the stove incident! Sounds very scary. Glad you were able to put in a work order for a new one. Hope it comes soon. Hurrying up and waiting are hard. Sending you some peace and some answers.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh boy that sounds so scary with your stove!!! I am so happy that you are safe.

    Continuing praying for you and Ken!! Stay safe and blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad to hear you got your scary stove situation fixed! Hoping for good news about Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yikes. I didn't know stoves could do that. My grandparents had one like that, but it never overheated. Glad it got fixed, and I hope Ken gets his treatments soon because it's high time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know they could do that either.

      Delete
  25. Yeah if you saw the state of my burners,you'd thinking was criminally insane

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so pleased that the hot plate didn't explode; I see from an earlier comment that it has been replaced :)

    Sorry you are having to wait for more news about Ken's tests … thinking about you and saying a prayer.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your misbehaving burner must have been pretty scary. I doubt it would have exploded but you were right to take no chances and move well away.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah! Your stove incident sounds terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think you did the right thing getting as far away from that appliance as you could. If that had blown with you guys near it...well it doesn't bear thinking about does it. What a long wait for you to hear how Ken is doing. Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.