Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Book Review: Shadow Fallen by Sherrilyn Kenyon

 

Book Description

For centuries, Ariel has fought the forces of evil. Her task was to protect the souls of innocent mortals when they die. Captured by a powerful sorceress, she is transformed into a human who has no memory of her real life or calling.

And is plunked into the middle of the Norman invasion of England.

Cursed the moment he was born with a "demonic deformity," Valteri wants nothing of this earth except to depart it and will do his duty to his king until then. When a strange noblewoman is brought before him, Valteri realizes he has met her before…in his dreams. When others come for her, bringing with them preternatural predators, he is faced with a destiny he had no idea was waiting. One he wants no part of.

The truth is that Valteri isn’t just a knight of William the Conqueror. He is the son of one of the deadliest powers in existence, and if he doesn’t restore Ariel to her place, she is not the only one who will be in peril. The world itself hangs in the balance, and he is the necessary key to hold back the powers of evil. But only if he can find a way to work with the woman who stands for everything in the universe he hates.


My Review

This is a Dream Hunter book which is a spin off from the Dark Hunters series. I've been reading both of these series for a long time and I have to say this is the first book of this authors that I didn't love. Not that it will stop me from reading the next books in either series but for the first half of this book, it didn't feel or read like it was from the Dark Hunters universe at all. 

Ariel can't remember her life and has been cursed to be a mortal human because of something she did but can't remember. She meets Valteri who was given up by his mother who never wanted him and he was abused and treated badly as a child until his brother found him and tried to help him. His brother has now given him a home, land and title. 

Valteri is looked upon by others as something vile because of his mismatched eyes and how many men he's killed on the battlefield but Ariel doesn't look at him in that way. Valteri feels a strong pull towards her but his self loathing won't allow him to make a move on her because he thinks that being with him would ruin her. Plus he's never met a woman who would willingly be with him, not even when he paid for it. 

These two end up working closely together when he asks for her help with his books since he isn't good at math and can't make heads or tales of the ledgers. So Ariel helps him and they spend more and more time together, getting closer.

It was bored with the first half of this book but once her "brothers" showed up, it started to pick up because then we start to see what's really going on and who she actually is. Once I understood why she was cursed, who she is and who Valteri actually is, then things started to make more sense and the story started picking up and I enjoyed it more. I really enjoyed the ending when Acheron and Simi made an appearance. It was a good addition to the series but not my favorite. 

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars. 

Disclosure: I was given an e-ARC of this book via NetGalley but all thoughts and opinions are my own. 

24 comments:

  1. I am glad that it finally picked up. And admire your perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, he isn't shirtless, something is wrong with that bookcover LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. A boring first half isn't good, I wouldn't have made it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading the series so I wanted to make sure I read it in case the next book has some of these characters in it.

      Delete
  4. Bummer about the slow start, but glad the last half gave you something good. Longer series can often have at least one dud for me so hopefully this is the only one for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely. I agree I don't usually like all the books in longer series.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the ending was a lot better than the boring beginning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read this one and I thought it was okay. Not bad, but not her best work either. I was really shocked at the cost for a hardcover it is being so little pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way. Hardcover books are expensive.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow! I didn't realize these books were still being published! I've certainly not been paying attention. Kenyon's books were some of my first loves. I devoured the series (blending between the main and spinoffs) and read about 2 or so past Ash's book (I think it was a cowboy?). But I didn't keep up with them. I'm glad you've continued to enjoy them, even if this one wasn't your favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acheron and Styxx were my favorites from the series, hands down.

      Delete
  8. oh yay for Acheron and Simi!!! I really need to get back to this series though. The last one I read I think was Acheron and that book was a BEAST of a read haha

    Its disappointing this one had such a slow start though, it can happen with this author sometimes. But glad it was a solid read overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acheron and Simi are my favorites.

      Delete
  9. This is an author that I do want to read. Too bad that this one wasn't a favorite and had some boring moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely happens with long running series.

      Delete
  10. Pleased the ending was much better than the first half. Well done on reading it all.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to check his name cos I was all why is a Finn in England? But oh, a nickname

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry this one did not live up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.