Thursday, March 09, 2023

Recipe: Low Carb Salad

 

Since I started eating low carb, this salad to a similar salad has been a lunch staple for me. My latest A1C for my diabetes was 7.3 and that's down from 10.5 in August of 2022, so I'm very happy. My doctor is really happy too. My blood sugar numbers have gone from around 400 or around 140. I've also lost 18 lbs and I wasn't even trying to lose any weight but I'll take it. So here's what's in my salad. 

1/2 chicken breast fried in PAM cooking spray. 
1/4 of a head of lettuce. I use Iceburg but you can use whatever you like. 
2 heaping Tablepsoons of Black Beans
1 inch cube of cheddar cheese- shredded finely
2 Tablepspoons Light Ranch
1/2 Diced Avocado

Sometimes I add sliced mushrooms and a little bit of tomato. 

Calories for entire salad- 420
Carbs for entire salad 23

If salad isn't your thing, you just have to find foods that you can eat that are low carb. 

I also wanted to share these crackers with you. 

I found these crackers and love them. Plus I can have 17 crackers and it's only 22 carbs and 130 calories. I'm allowed 150 carbs per day so I try to spread the carbs out during the day. These crackers are so good. I'd love to know if anyone else has tried them. 

35 comments:

  1. That is one protein heavy salad. But it's working, so as long as you can eat this way for the rest of your life, rock on and keep at it. Those numbers are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm on a high protein, low carb diet.

      Delete
  2. I always make a big salad like that for our Sunday dinner. It’s really yummy. I’ve had those crackers but I don’t like them. They are too crunchy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I crave potato chips so the crunch helps with my cravings. Lol

      Delete
  3. Can you believe I've never had me an avocado?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad sounds so good! I think I'd use salsa for the dressing. I've never tried the crackers, but nice to know of a low carb option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that too. I make my own salsa.

      Delete
  5. yum and congrats on your numbers lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the great numbers and the weight loss, Mary, Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a similar salad to yours, Mary. Yay for those health numbers and the weight loss. At our age, 5 lbs is impressive let alone double figures. :)
    I've not had the crackers, but I'd try them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like trying new salads too. Thank you. Any weight loss is good.

      Delete
  8. I'd probably add a hard-boiled egg with the mushrooms and skip the avocado. But it looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I haven't been buying eggs since they are so expensive right now.

      Delete
  9. I'm a salad lover, especially for dinner in the summer, yours looks so good. Never heard of those crackers, but I'm going to look for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope you like the crackers.

      Delete
  10. That looks great to me, even with the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your improving health!! That's wonderful. That salad looks fantastic. We do a lot of chicken breast on the grill salads in the summer. And thanks for the heads up on the crackers. I'll have to look for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you like the crackers too.

      Delete
  12. Congrats on your numbers going down! That's impressive. Thanks for sharing about the crackers, I'll have to try those. And keep up the avocado - it's one of nature's super foods and one of the healthy fats that is great to eat. You're doing great! XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had that salad right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make it, it's an easy salad to make.

      Delete
  14. Congrats on your progresses! That salad sounds yummy but it's healthy...not an easy feat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. it was hard learning to cook healthy for myself when I'm so used to eating whatever I want.

      Delete
  15. I would enjoy both. Great job by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am always on the hunt for a great salad to try out! I love how much you can do with salads!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What amazing progress you are making, and this looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.