Sunday, August 30, 2026
Apartment Life #435
This is a weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that have gone on in and around my apartment complex and in my neighborhood in the past 27 years that I've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 27 years here in a weekly blog post.
This week the residents got a warning from my apartment manager. I have one of those really small washers that you can fit a few shirts in to wash it. It plugs into the outlet and has one hose to drain the water. You have to fill the water with a pan. It's not like I'm not hooking a hose to the faucet to fill it with water. This seems a bit extreme. It had to be maintenance that told her about it when he was here replacing my bathroom faucet. I know a few other residents that have the same type of washers.
Oh, and the laundry room they are talking about has 1 washer and 1 dryer for 88 apartments to share.
This is the kind I have. It's small. I couldn't get a good picture of mine in the bathroom. A lease violation warning for this?
I looked over my 60 page lease and this is the only thing I could find about a washing machine...
"Residents are required to receive written approval from us prior to replacing or altering any of these appliances." And washing machine is listed as one of the appliances.
Am I getting rid of it? Hell no. Next time there's an inspection I'll put it in my room and put a blanket on top of it. Go ahead and try to prove I still have it. Idiots.
And before someone asks if I'm going to try and fight this. There's no way to fight it. They would just evict me if I tried. We have something here called a, "30 day- No Cause" here in Nevada, meaning they can evict someone in 30 days for no cause, just because they want to and the judges let them do this.
There's no way to fight it. After your 30 day notice, the Constable will put a 3 day and then a 24 hour notice on your door. After 24 hours the constable comes back with maintenance, tells you to grab as much as you can right now and they make you leave, they change the locks and tell you that you have to make an appointment to come back and get the rest of your belongings. And this is all legal. It's not like it is in California and other places where it takes months to evict someone.
---
On Friday we heard a police siren going on and off up and down my street. So, I looked outside and there was just the one police car. My daughter went outside and got this video of it all starting while I took pictures and video from my bedroom window.
It wasn't until I started uploading the pictures that I noticed my daughter and grandson standing against the sound wall behind this police car watching what was going on. lol This was the first police car to show up. More showed up very fast. My daughter talked to one of the officers out there and they said they were looking for a white male, in a white shirt weighing around 180lbs. They didn't say what they were looking for him for though.
The police were looking, they had 2 K9 dogs, the police helicopter was flying overhead, and police were walking up and down my street, alley, and the street behind this apartment complex.
Police walking with one of the K9 dogs.
Police were parked on my street, my alley, the alley across the street, and one street over. I counted at least 9 police cars in my area for this. I have to wonder what the guy did to warrant such a large turn out?
They looked and looked, they were here for almost 2 hours searching for this guy. But they never found him.
They stood around talking for a while and then they left. My daughter and I think whoever it was, ran down into the tunnels. But the police never looked there.
The high this week was 110F/43C
The low this week was 84F/28C
So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








Being able to evict someone so easily is outrageous. The UK used to have what we call no-fault evictions but they've just been banned.
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy. All a manager or owner has to say is they want their apartment back and they can evict you without cause.
DeleteThe man they were chasing must have been a serious Criminal. Hope they catch him if that's true. The thing about your little miniature washing machine, if you're at home using it which of course that small you can't leave it for very long, what is the harm. And your 30-day eviction! I don't think they do that in ohio.
ReplyDeleteThat's what I was thinking too. I have no idea who it was. They can evict you fast here.
DeleteThat little washing machine of yours is definitely not a violation. Just keep it hidden.
ReplyDeleteThey can evict at will and yet the apartment still has a bunch of druggies and violent people living there. Go figure.
I'm going to.
DeleteYes, exactly. They only care about the money. As long as you pay your rent they don't care if you are selling drugs.
'But the police never looked there.' It sounds like they never do. The washing machine thing is ridiculous. I'd love to punch them in the forehead for you. Lol.
ReplyDeleteLOL Thank you.
DeleteThey never do look in the tunnels.
Goodness Mary, keep your baby washing machine as you said, with a blanket over it. They are very strict.
ReplyDeleteOh my, the police and the helicopter searching and looks for a man, he must have done something rather bad. Enjoyed looking and watching tour videos...thanks.
The amount of notifications we've been getting from the new manager is crazy. I think he probably did do something bad but I don't know what.
DeleteThat is not a lot of protection for renters.In some jurisdictions it seems as though they have too much.
ReplyDeleteThere's not a lot of protection for renters here.
Deletebonjour je passe te souhaiter une bonne journée😍
ReplyDeletebon dimanche ensoleillé;à ce soir gros bisous😛
Thank you.
DeleteHi, Mary!
ReplyDeletePlenty of excitement in your community this week, dear friend! I see the temp reached a blistering 110. I'm sure that drove more people than usual down into the tunnels. You and your daughter collected lots of great footage of the massive police presence as authorities combed the neighborhood for a fugitive. Based on my experience visiting your blog, I know it is unlikely you will ever find out what that guy did to warrant such a show of force on the ground and in the air. When I visited your site a month or two ago, you told us about an incident in which police had chased a dude around your complex and he wound up fleeing into a tunnel. Wonder if it's the same guy. Regarding the dispute over those portable washing machines, I hope you won't have to start risking your neck doing the wash at the complex laundry room. I can imagine all sorts of bad things happening there.
This coming Saturday, September 5, I'll be back at Shady's Place with the first of my three Halloween posts. Hope you and my buddy Falcor can swing by. I will also visit you here again next Sunday when you bring us another installment of your Apartment Hell feature. Take care, dear friend Mary!
There's always something going on when you visit. lol I'll see you in a few days and check out your blog post.
DeleteGlad you have a plan for the washer.
ReplyDeleteThanks, me too.
DeleteThat's some police chase! Except everyone keeps acting like the tunnels weren't there...🙄
ReplyDeleteThe dishwasher thing is crazy. How are you supposed to wash your things? And the "30 day- No Cause" is even crazier..
Right? The police just have no clue about the tunnels. They want us to use the one washer and 1 dryer they have in the laundry room.
DeleteThat's stressful about the washing machine, Mary. I hope they don't come back and check on you for it. And of course the police didn't look in the tunnels. They don't know they exist! LOL!
ReplyDeleteThey have to give us a 24 hour notice before they do any inspections. So I can hide it then.
DeleteThey have no idea about the tunnels it seems.
That's ridiculous. One washer and dry for that many residents. Your little machine probably uses hardly any water either. Yes, definitely hide it next time.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't use much water at all. They are ridiculous.
DeleteThat's an awful system. Here in Oregon tenants have far more protection. I guess every state is different. I hope you get through this without any further problems.
ReplyDeleteYeah, now that I know, I can just hide it.
DeleteI am always to see the K9 units with the police. What a terrible situation, Mary.
ReplyDeleteI meant to say I am always glad.
DeleteThey had 2 K9's out there that night. It was a crazy day.
DeleteGood grief. It sounds like they have a lot more to worry about than your mini washer. Covering it up is a good idea, and stack stuff around it, put a plant on top and they won't know it's there. Pretty despicable maintenance person to report something like that.
ReplyDeleteThose tunnels must be crazy places!
Maintenance here is a joke. I am going to cover it. They'll never know. The tunnels house thousands of homeless people.
DeleteRidiculous that they don’t appreciate a stable, long term tenant!
ReplyDeleteI know! crazy.
DeleteThat 30-day "no-cause" rule creates a really difficult environment for long-term tenants, especially over something as minor as a portable washer when laundry facilities are so limited. It is a striking contrast to rental markets like Dubai, where regulations require strict legal grounds and a 12-month notice period for any eviction, offering much more stability. Covering it up sounds like the safest bet to keep the peace after 27 years there!
ReplyDeleteYes, I'll just cover it. They'll never know.
DeleteStay safe 🫶
DeleteI'm with you on hiding the little washer. Maybe you can hide it under the bed or make a cover filled with poly-fil to make it look like a big decorative couch pillow, LOL. Hide it in plain sight.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good idea. lol
DeleteI am with everyone else on the washer situation.
ReplyDeleteIt was crazy of her to even say anything about it.
DeleteWhat a bunch of control freaks griping about that tiny machine. Glad you are going to keep it. What happens when the one set of appliances break and now you've got 88 other apartments backed up with laundry? It would take weeks to get your clothes clean. Every time my husband talks about wanting to sell our house and start renting, I am reminded why I prefer to be a homeowner. It has its share of issues, but I couldn't have someone policing my every move. JFC!
ReplyDeleteThank you. Renting is a hassle all its own.
DeleteI remember paying a hundred dollar deposit (it was a lot of money in 1979) for our apartment. I did not hang anything on the walls and I caused no damage. Our apartment manager said she would "look into" reimbursing us after we moved out. Every time I saw her for the next ten years until her death she would greet me heartily and say she was still looking into it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a jerk. That's not nice at all.
DeleteOne washing machine for 88 apartments?!! That's BS! Yep, I'd just hide it if someone from management came in, too. What jerks!
ReplyDeleteYeah it's crazy
DeleteI'm sorry your apartment manager is so petty. And I can't believe they only offer up one washing machine for that many apartments. They should have at least 3-5.
ReplyDeleteWow! That eviction law is rough. Sorry you have to deal with that for such a minor "appliance." We have an illegal hookup for our sump during storms. The previous owners did it, and we never took it apart. But no one comes in our house to investigate things like that.
ReplyDeleteI will bet the police were looking for that dude because he had an unauthorized washing machine! That wins the dumbest thing for the month of August!
ReplyDeleteDear Lord....that washing machine thing is definitely a "WTF?" So sorry you have to deal with that.
ReplyDeleteOf course they never looked in the tunnels. They don't know about the tunnels. Unless you had gone and told them again, I'm sure the ones you've told weren't there.
ReplyDeleteThere are two things that are interesting to me: laundry and washing machines, as you portrayed here. Since we have tremendous haze and smoke, access to good, clean water for daily use is difficult here. We have to dig deep into our pockets to purchase clean water for drinking and other necessities.
ReplyDeleteRegarding washing machines, from my point of view, I prefer washing clothes with my bare hands rather than using a machine.
15 years I lived as a tenant in Shillong, an Indian town, and there wasn't much to speak positively about any of those. I understand your frustration.
ReplyDeletelandlords, get all worked up about washing machines.
ReplyDeletewhat a pain! may you be successful in hiding it.
ReplyDeleteYour 'agreement' sounds draconian. The management should do something about the dire lack of washing machines if they're going to be so petty about individual small machines.
ReplyDeleteOnly 1 washer/dryer for 80+ apartments is insane. And what happens if they break down? And going to a laundromat instead is a pain plus expensive too, the prices of everything has gone up.
ReplyDelete