Wednesday, September 30, 2026
Favorite Picture of the Week
This week I picked up a couple of food products that I wanted my daughter and grandson to try. My daughter's friend and neighbor tried it too. This is rye crackers and Deviled Ham. I used to eat Deviled Ham all the time when I was a kid. My mom would buy it and put it on crackers.
The second item is Brown Bread in a Can. It's fully cooked, you just remove it from the can, slice it, toast it and put some butter on it.
You have to remove the lip from the bottom and top of the can and push the bread out. Then slice it up, toast it and put a little butter on it. It's made with molasses and different flours. It's slightly sweet and dense. If you like molasses, you might like it. My grandson loved it. My daughter said when it was toasted with some butter, it wasn't too bad. My daughter's friend, Tia didn't like it at all. lol
Then we tried the crackers and Deviled Ham. My daughter's friend, Tia didn't like it but my daughter and grandson did.
Have you ever tried either of these? Would you try them?
Have you ever brought food from your childhood for your family to try?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Bread in a can - now that is just odd. Never heard of it. My wife makes all of our bread so probably wouldn't try that one.
ReplyDeleteI remembered it from my childhood and wanted them to try it too. lol
DeleteDear Mary,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post! "Bread in a Can" certainly sounds like a unique childhood treat, it's great that your grandson enjoyed it! It is always so fun sharing nostalgic foods from our past with family and seeing their reactions. Thanks for sharing such a fun family moment!
Yes it is. I love doing this kind of thing with my grandson.
DeleteI have never had either of those food products! I do not think I would try it because I am not adventurous when it comes to food.
ReplyDeleteI can understand that. I am adventurous and love sharing things from my childhood with my grandson.
DeleteI used to eat deviled ham when I was working. I always made myself a sandwich with it. I haven't had it for a long time so you've brought back some memories. I don't know if I ever even have seen the brown bread. But I love molasses so I think I'm going to look for it.
ReplyDeleteI found the bread on Amazon, you might find it there. You might like it.
DeleteI've had rye crackers, but the brand I purchased was Rye-vita. I find them too much like cardboard. I like the packaged dense European "black bread" better (very high in fibre) because it's moister. Can't remember the brand name though. Underwood Devilled Ham was a rare treat when I was a kid, but as an adult I don't like the taste now. I bought a little can for "old time's sake" and couldn't eat it.
ReplyDeleteI like rye crackers. I tried finding Rye Crisp crackers which is what I had when I was a kid but I can't seem to find them.
DeleteCanned bread?! That's a new one to me!
ReplyDeletelol Yeah, it's been around a long time.
DeleteBread in a can boggles my mind. Sue like crackers like those. I tolerate them.
ReplyDeleteThe crackers weren't bad. The bread is good if you like molasses.
DeleteThat's a fun idea, Mary. I ate the deviled ham as a kid, too. And Vienna sausages! I've never had the canned bread and have never seen it at a store, but I do love molasses, so I'm sure I'd like it.
ReplyDeleteI made a few foods from my childhood when my kids were growing up. One was chipped beef on toast, and the other were from my school cafeteria called pizza burgers. They were just open-faced sloppy joes with cheddar cheese strips on top, toasted in the oven. They thought it was weird - LOL!
These kids don't know what they're massing. lol My grandson like vienna sausages too.
DeleteWe make my grandmother's recipes a few times a year, a nod to my childhood. I also strongly recall fairy toast which I never made my child. She never had poverty nachos either, or Chef Boyardee. LOL
ReplyDeletelmao I should try that next. He might like it. I did as a kid.
DeleteI've made brown bread a couple of times. The hardest part was finding a can the right size!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds fun.
DeleteI think I would be in Tia's camp LOL. Bread in a can? No thanks 😉.
ReplyDeletelmao It was good.
DeleteI haven't tried either one. The brown bread sounds a bit like Dutch ontbijtkoek, which is also dense and sweet, and we eat it toasted with butter too. Glad your grandson liked it.
ReplyDeletehttps://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com
He was a good sport trying it.
DeleteI’ve never tried either of these. I’m not a fan of ham. I guess it would keep for a while.
ReplyDeleteI like trying new things.
DeleteBread in a can!? Wild!
ReplyDeleteAsh @ Essentially Ash
It's really good.
DeleteBread in a can. What a wonderful world in which we live.
ReplyDeleteI agree.
DeleteI used to bake brown bread in a can with my girl scouts, but I never bought it before. I found it dry but eatable with enough butter, lol. And we used to eat deviled ham on Ritz crackers when we were kids.
ReplyDeleteYes, on Ritz crackers. That was good. Butter does make it better.
DeleteI have never seen bread in a can before, Mary! It probably exists here in Canada but I guess I never saw it because I didn't even know it existed!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing.
You're very welcome.
DeleteI don’t think would like the deviled ham because it’s probably really salty, but the bread in a can sounds interesting!
ReplyDeleteAmazon had both products. The ham is very salty.
DeleteNever tried any of that. I've never been a fan of ham, so I'll skip that. The only childhood favorites of mine that I've shared is my mother's chocolate chip cookie recipe. (It's only slightly different than the Toll House one.) I shared it with my nibblings, her grandchildren, so it'll stay in the family.
ReplyDeleteThat's a really good idea.
DeleteCanned food is the worst for you.
ReplyDeleteI didn't eat much of it. I wanted my grandson to try it. My daughter and her friend tried it too.
DeleteBread in a can! Why not. I fixed my puzzle solution thanks.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome.
DeleteGoodness! I don't think I've ever seen bread in a can before.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
It's definitely different.
DeleteGrowing up we had brown bread, the same as in the photo, with beans and hot dogs on Saturday nights. My dad loved that stuff and we did too. Deviled ham, I love it but haven't had it since I came here over a decade ago.
ReplyDeleteYep, we had it with beans and hotdogs too.
DeleteI haven't had deviled ham since I was a kid. And I haven't seen the brown bread in a can in the store for a long time, and it's a New England specialty. Thanks for the memories. And I hope your grandson enjoyed trying them.
ReplyDeleteThank you, he did enjoy trying them.
DeleteNo the canned bread is not for me. I have tried it before. The Deviled Ham used to be a staple here but now it has too much protein, phosphorus, and potassium. But I do like it.
ReplyDeleteSome don't like the bread. My daughter and Tia didn't. My grandson did.
DeleteI haven't had any deviled ham in ages, yum!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad there are others who know how good this stuff is.
DeleteYes, to the Deviled Ham on crackers, but I hadn't tried the bread in a can. I would eat, though, especially with molasses flavoring.
ReplyDeleteThe bread is quite good.
DeleteI never saw this before. Looks good.
ReplyDeleteIt is really good.
DeleteFor an Indian like me, these are new things.
ReplyDeleteI love trying new things.
DeleteI've heard of deviled ham but I've never seen bread in a can. What a crazy world we live in. I might try and pick up a can if I can find it, give it a shot.
ReplyDeleteI found them on Amazon.
DeleteThose are all things I would like to try. Thanks Mary
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome.
DeleteHow interesting and if you liked it it's even better.
ReplyDeleteWe don't seem to have such things down here, so no I've never tried.
It was good. I like trying new things.
DeleteI guess those finn crisps are like the thin sour whatevers we love. I mean they are even called Finn Crisps ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's good.
DeleteI've never tried any of these. The canned brown bread fascinated me when I was younger but I never checked it out. I would probably like the crisps, though. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteYou should try the bread. it's good.
DeleteNever heard of either of these. My daughter bought some of those wax soda bottle candies and asked if I wanted to try them, like she discovered something new. "No thanks. I'm still traumatized by the taste of those from when we ate them many moons ago!" lol
ReplyDeleteLOL Right? I want to get those and have my grandson try them.
DeleteBread in a can sounds so quirky!
ReplyDeleteI'd like to try it though.
I found it on Amazon.
DeleteI have not seen brown bread in a can since I was a kid- over 60 years ago. Thanks for sharing. It brought back memories.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I brought back some good memories for you.
DeleteHow did I not know about bread in a can? That's so cool! It's been a while since I've eaten deviled ham.
ReplyDeleteit had been a while for me too. I want to get more stuff from my childhood and have my grandson try it now.
Delete