Thursday, October 01, 2015

Why Does Dawn Dish Liquid Make My Sponge Stink?


I had been using Palmolive and before you ask why I didn't just use the dishwasher...I am the dishwasher. My apartment complex is too damn cheap to have dishwashers in the apartments. 

Anyway, I had been using Palmolive and I received a coupon for $1 off of Dawn so we tried it. I like that it cuts grease better and that I don't have to use as much to get my dishes clean but it leaves my sponges with a really rank odor even after the first time I use it. I've tried washing my sponge out really well after doing the dishes, I tried boiling the sponge, microwaving the sponge and even using a new sponge each week. It doesn't matter what I do, Dawn leaves my sponges and dish cloths with a musty, moldy smell after using it with them. No other dish washing liquid does this to my sponges.


So I left a question on the Dawn FB page and this was their response. 

I know I'm not the only one who has had this question because I "Googled" the question and there are a lot of blog posts, articles and forums about this so it's not just me. I may have to use a different dish liquid now.

Do you use Dawn? Have you noticed this?

19 comments:

  1. It may just be something in the product, which I'm sure they will be aware of -since you mentioned there are several articles out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL on their non-answer! I've never used Dawn, because I'm cheap and buy Ajax. I wonder if it's the particular scent you bought or all Dawn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought three different scents and it happened with all of them.

      Delete
    2. It doesn't matter what color or scent you buy! It makes the dish cloth absolutely putrid stinky!My hands even stink after touching the filthy stinky cloth! I don't buy Dawn anymore--PERIOD--it is NASTY!!

      Delete
    3. Gary, that is so true.

      Delete
  3. haha typical PR spin. I never used them and now never will. Don't need moldy smells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I switched back to Palmolive.

      Delete
  4. i use only dawn but don't use sponges. i use dishrags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it would happen if I stopped using the sponge.

      Delete
    2. And it still stinks! Right???!

      Delete
    3. lol Yep, the dish rap started stinking too.

      Delete
  5. Weird. I use dawn, and don't have that issue. I do change my sponge every few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I use Dawn all the time and haven't had that problem, but I have to admit that I'm surprised they responded (or nonresponded so quickly-lol) Hope they can give you a better response soon. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never use the sponge, I always find they get nasty quick

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't noticed, we use Palmolive and the sponge gets musty smelling eventually

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only use a dish rag and I have to change up every couple of days no matter what soap I use. But that's...yeah, not a helpful response. At least it was polite? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh that's so weird your sponge stinks after using that brand, especially as it doesn't happen with other brands. I hope they will figure out why that happens. We do have a dishwasher, although I wash some things by hand too and we always have a sponge lying aroung as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently figured out that dawn was the issue as well, after using a Target brand dish soap for a while then switching back to Dawn. I used a brand new sponge and dawn and over night the sponge smelled awful. This DID NOT happen with the Target brand. My husband and I even noticed we hadn't experienced a smelly sponge in a while. The Target brand works good so I'll be switching back.

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.