Sunday, May 01, 2016

Universal Yums Monthly Box Review


Universal Yums is a monthly subscription box that sends you snacks from all over the world. A different place each month. This is my first month and this is the March 2016 box. (I write my posts about a month ahead of time so that's why this is posted this month. I always have about 30-40 blog posts scheduled at any time) 


There are two box sizes to choose from. The 6 or more snacks or 12 or more snacks. I chose the 6 or more snacks box.  For my box size, it's $13.00 a month. And they sent quite a bit in my box. The other box costs $25.00 a month. 


So I was sent 12 snacks in my box. Candies, cakes, chocolates and popcorn. This months box is from The Philippines. It was interesting to try the different snacks because I've never had any of these things. I'm going to share with you a few of the more interesting things I found and my favorites. 



This was a cookies and cream shortbread. It had a really great cookies and cream taste to it and even had some small pieces of cookie in it. But it had a really strange texture to me. 


As soon as I bit into it, it fell apart like powder. I'm used to shortbread being kind of hard. But this was like condensed cookie powder. It was good and I did eat it. 



This was by far my favorite out of the box. It's a hard coffee flavored candy. Tasted just like coffee and was so so good. 



Ken and I both tried this Pandan Cake. It smelled really good and when I broke it in half to share with Ken....


The cake inside was a light green. It was a bit dry but went well with my tea. It tasted a little like a vanilla cupcake. 

I had fun with this box. It was interesting to try new snacks that I've never had before and Ken even liked a couple of them. 



24 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good box for those of us who eat such things haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Yeah I don't suppose you'd be eating much of this.

      Delete
  2. I think I have had pandan cake once before or a similar type of cake. We have a Chinese neighborhood in one of the cities close by and we bought cake once in one fo the Chinese bakeries there, it was pretty good. I haven't heard of the other things you got, but it looks like a fun snack box. So they have a different country each month?
    Not sure if the coffee candy would be for ma as I don't like coffee, but that cookies and cream cookie sounds good even if the texture was a bit weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we get a different country or place each month. I'm looking forward to seeing what we get next month.

      Delete
  3. You know what is funny, I like coffee flavored candy, but I don't like coffee. I know, I'm weird. I think that cookies and cream thing texture would be weird to me too. Glad you enjoyed everything.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Awesome! So much packed in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super fun box idea! I'd totally try all of those things. When my sister in law lived in Germany and the Netherlands, she would send us candy at the holidays. It was great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:30 PM

    The powdery cookie is supposed to crumble like that. I grew up eating that stuff. Love Filipino yummies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo I needs the coffee candy. The pound cake looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A powdery cookie... Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are all new to me, too. They do make me curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to be able to try new foods.

      Delete
  10. I'm Filipino so I'm very familiar with those treats. I love polvoron, it is crumbly so we put it in the freezer for a bit so it
    Doesn't fall apart. The cake, I'm not a fan of that either. The sweet corn snack is a favorite too. Glad you enjoyed most of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like almost everything. It was interesting.

      Delete
  11. Well that one sounds fun! And not bad for the cost and what you got :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one subscription box I think I'll keep getting for a while. I've tried several others but they just weren't worth the cost but this one is.

      Delete
  12. just received first box as a gift. Terrible. Into the trash it goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you didn't like it. I loved all the boxes I got.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.