Thursday, April 12, 2018

Lady Bug Larvae

*Click on picture to enlarge.*

So it's bug day again. For some odd reason I like to take a few pictures of the weird bugs I find in my apartment before I take them outside so I can show them off here. I've seen these weird looking creatures that seem like they just emerged from the ninth circle of hell, for the past few years when it warms up. I had no idea what they were, all I knew is that they were unlike anything I've ever seen. So I took a picture of it. lol 

I finally found a picture of them after searching Google for black and red bugs. It turns out they aren't demons from the pits of hell after all, they're just baby lady bugs, or as the science type websites like to call them, Lady Bird Larvae or Lady Beetle Larvae. Think of butterflies and how they are worms first, they form a cocoon and then emerge as butterflies. Same thing with these things. This is their 'worm' stage. lol 🐛🐛

*Click on picture to enlarge.*

I enlarged the photo so you could see more detail. Now do you see why I thought these things were some sort of evil minions?


*Click on picture to enlarge.*

In this picture you can make out some of the red spots on it and even some of the little hairs on it. Now that I know what they are, I'm not scared to pick them up and take them outside. So when I saw this one on my kitchen floor, I took him or her (Are all lady bugs, ladies? I dunno.) outside after getting a few pictures. 

Would you have known what this was if you saw it? 

If you want to know more about Lady Beetle Larvae, this is the website I found on them. 

36 comments:

  1. Wouldn't have known. Sure doesn't look as prim and proper as an adult ladybug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is some weird bug! We have some strange ones here in the South too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was like, I need to know what the heck this is. lol

      Delete
  3. What the hell? As many ladybugs as we get here, I can't believe I've never seen one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a bunch of cocoons on the walls here too and seen them hatching. It's so cool.

      Delete
  4. That is very cool! I would never suspect that being a lady bug. We have a lot of them in my yard so I'll be on the lookout now.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I didn't know. Thanks Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who had no idea.

      Delete
  6. I learned something new. I didn't realize Lady Bugs had a first stage like that. Thanks for sharing your research, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. berk, I don't want to see one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I had to find out what they were since I was seeing so many of them.

      Delete
  8. Lady bug babies sure are ugly! Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do look like evil minions

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huh...I would have never guessed that this was a ladybug. I will have to keep my eye out for them around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would actually expect evil minions from the pits of Hell to look pretty much like that. A lot bigger, though. (The best thing about bugs is that they're not any bigger than they are.)

    If I'd seen those creatures I would have had no idea what they were. Strange how most baby insects have such a different form from the adults.

    There must be some male ladybugs, but they probably have serious gender-identity issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they stay small for the most part. It is strange that some baby insect look nothing like their adult version. I'm sure the males don't like being called lady bugs.

      Delete
  12. I never knew what they were till last year when they were running around my back patio. We had a ton of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never would have thought they'd look like that as babies

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never would have guessed that was a ladybug. It does look scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol First time I saw one I just stared at it. It is so strange.

      Delete
  15. Followed you over after you left a comment on another blog.

    I work with kids. We have an agreement, 'my' kids and I, to learn something every day. This was my new thing today. Which I will share with them tomorrow.

    And although I've always loved ladybugs, I'm sort of freaked out by their larval form.

    ::shudder:::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea of learning something new each day. Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  16. Yep, definitely scary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wouldn't have known.
    So many varieties world-wide.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting what we find out each day about things we didn't know before?

      Delete
  18. That's cool. I would not have known that. But I did find out that there are two types of lady bugs. The regular ones that we know and the Asian ones that are pests. Every year we get invaded by the Asian ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the asian ones.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.