Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Book Review: A Dark Guardian by Donna Grant

 

Book Description

Earth is about to be annihilated by creatures spoken of only in myths and legends. The fabled race of the Fae has gathered together a group of warriors highly skilled and trained to defeat these creatures. These men come from different times and realms, giving their lives, if necessary, to end the destruction of our world.

Dear Reader –
Have you ever wanted to travel through time with weapons crafted by the Fae themselves? To experience adventure so thrilling and dangerous you don’t know if you will live to see tomorrow? Now my men and I are faced with fighting creatures only thought to live in legend but which have been brought to Earth by evil bent on annihilating all the realms. That is my life – and I love it.

At least I did until I found myself staring into the angelic, innocent face of Lady Mina of Stone Crest. In all the time I have led the Shields, I have trusted my instincts to keep us alive, yet now I don’t know what to believe. Everything points to Mina as the evil summoning the creatures, but she proclaims her innocence.

I should be able to see through her lies, if she is indeed lying, but my attraction to her blinds me to even that. The last time I found myself so lured to a woman, it nearly cost me the lives of my men. I cannot allow that to happen again. I won’t allow that to happen again.

Yet every time she looks at me, begging me with those blue-green eyes to believe her, I find myself sinking further under her spell. Her mouth is a temptation mortal men will never know and her love will either bring me the peace I thought I’d never find – or the death I’ve managed, thus far, to avoid.

Hugh the Righteous


My Review

Mina has had a hard life because her brother and sister have never liked her. They treat her bad and blame her for things that were not her fault. They blame her for the monsters that have been killing the people of their village even though she isn't at fault. 

Hugh is the leader of the Shields, who are men from different times, and places brought together by the Fae to fight the monsters. 

Mina is out by herself trying to lure the monster into a trap when Hugh comes upon her. She thought that there were a few of her men there with her but they had fled on her brother's order, leaving her for dead if the monster had been able to get to her. 

Hugh and his men follow her back to her castle where they meet her brother and sister and Hugh doesn't like either of them. But Mina is taken with him right away. Hugh and his men stay there and try to rid the monster and find out where it came from. Mina shows them where the monster came from which only brings about more questions than answers. There's also a Fae man that is helping them find out what's going on and put the pieces together. 

I was really liking this book and how Hugh and Mina were together and then Hugh's personality seemed to change a bit and I wasn't so sure that I liked him anymore. I didn't like the way he treated Mina even though he proclaimed that he loved her, it was weird. I know this is the first book in this series and some of the questions about the monsters, where they came from, and questions about some of the other characters that were brought up will probably be answered as the series goes on but I found this to have too many holes and not enough answers. 

I give this book 2 out of 5 stars. 


23 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever seen you give a star rating any lower than that. I am sorry it was such a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have. I had some 1 stars last month.

      Delete
  2. Fae can be very nasty sometimes or most times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really can be. I don't like them most of them time.

      Delete
  3. I hate when a character's personality changes for no reason. Sorry this one wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad when things start out good and go downhill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it makes it not fun at all.

      Delete
  5. A bad rating but, the cover photo will surely sell the book 😜

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw, man I got half way through your review, went to Amazon and ordered the book, then I came back and found your 2 out of 5 rating. But it's a free book right now so there's that. I used to love time travel romances so it appealed to me on that level as well as I've been wanting to try something from the genre you review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just because I didn't care for it doesn't mean that you won't. You might like it.

      Delete
  8. I like the sound of the story world and the set up and early part of the romance, but not the hero's personality shift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry it didn't work out. they can't all be winners. better luck with the next one
    @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Someone else might like it more though.

      Delete
  10. Bummer, sorry this one didn't go down well at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry to see that this book turned out this way for you. I don't think I have read it. But I have enjoyed her other stuff. Its hard when one of the characters treats the other so horribly.

    Great review Mary.

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.