Wednesday, October 05, 2022

Low Carb Recipe: Eggplant Mozzarella

 
I know it's supposed to be called Eggplant Parmesan but I don't like parmesan cheese so I made this with only mozzarella. 

Recipe: 

1 eggplant sliced into 1/2 inch slices
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 jar of Rao's marinara sauce
7 basil leaves- chopped small
2 TBSP salt
Oil for frying eggplant

What to do:

Place sliced eggplant on a cookie sheet lined with two layers of paper towels. Rub a small amount of salt on both sides of eggplant and let sit on the paper towels in a room temperatures area for 3 hours. This will let some of the moisture drain away from the eggplant and it won't be so mushy. Remove eggplant from paper towels and use paper towels to flick away most of the salt,  and pat dry if needed.

Next, place about 1/2 an inch of oil into a frying pan and fry eggplant over medium heat until it's soft and set aside. 

Assembling the dish. In a 9x13 baking dish, add a little marinara sauce to the bottom of the dish and add a layer of eggplant, cheese, basil and more marinara sauce. Make more layers until all ingredients have been used. You can use a small baking dish if you have a small eggplant and want more layers. 

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. 

Serve while warm. 

This came out so good and it makes a great side dish for dinners. 

Would you try this?

35 comments:

  1. That amount of salt scares me - we don't add it to our food, but other than that this does sound interesting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wipe most of the salt off after a few hours. It doesn't taste salty at all.

      Delete
  2. My wife makes it and loves it. Not an eggplant fan (unless it's buried under other veggies in a Thai dish) so mine is chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. I only like eggplants in this dish.

      Delete
  3. I don't often make eggplant, but using the salt to dry it out a bit is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since we grew eggplant this summer, I've been making it. We've only grilled it or I roast it in the oven. I would make this, but I'd roast it first instead of frying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo, I think the basil there is key. I'll have to add that to mine, next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sure sounds yummy. I do really miss having cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious. I make eggplant parmesan (with mostly mozzarella), but bake it differently, as we like them drier, and with a crunchy bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! And mozzarella is always a good substitute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I would try it thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like eggplant (unless it gets mushy and left plain) and I enjoy this dish. Never looked up the recipe so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Believe it or not, I have never had an eggplant in my life or let us call it itchiban like the Japanese do LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really yummy, I like both Parmesan and Mozarella so maybe I would do both haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both would be good if you like both.

      Delete
  13. I do like Parm cheese, but I would probably just use mozzarella on this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This does sound delicious and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.