Sunday, November 06, 2022

Apartment Life #339

 
This is a weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell  Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that go on in and around my apartment complex in the past 25 years that we've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 25 years here in a weekly blog post.

This week the police were at the end of the street for some reason. I see them going to the apartment complex next to us all the time. 

So this is the overflow drain for my building. When the main line for my building backs up, the top on this will pop off and the excess sewer water will drain right out of this on to the sidewalk and surrounding grounds. 

The picture didn't really come out great so here's a video to better show you what was happening. Yes, that's toilet paper on the ground by the pipe. This is raw sewage and if you've been a reader for a while, you know this isn't the first time this has happened. 

Thankfully, maintenance did come out the next day and clear the drain so it stopped leaking. But they didn't clean up any of what came out of the drain but they almost never do. They let it dry up and blow away in the wind or wash away the next time it rains. 
---

Out by where the homeless people congregate and sleep, they had pulled two couches from the trash cans and had been sleeping and sitting on them for a few days. On Monday I noticed that someone had set fire to them. 

I didn't see the fire dept out here and there was no signs of water so I think it just burned until it went out. 

Even the wall behind it is singed. There was nothing left of the couches but the frames. I wonder if it was intentionally set or if one of the homeless people were sitting here hitting the crack pipe and accidentally set the couches on fire. I had seen a couple of different people passed out on the couches after doing drugs so it's possible it was an accident.
---

I'm sorry I didn't get around to anyone's blog for a few days. My internet and phone went out and it took a few days and several phone calls before someone finally came out and fixed it. They were supposed to be here the first day I called but never showed up. 

The high this week was 79F/26C
The low this week was 41F/5C

So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell  Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

50 comments:

  1. Raw sewage on the ground is a serious health hazard. That's how things like cholera get started. Fairly sure the apartment management, or whoever's responsible, must be violating some health ordinance by not getting it cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. People have called the health dept before and this place paid a fine but they didn't care and evicted the man who called the health dept and the news.

      Delete
  2. Eeeuw on the sewer overflow. And yes, the previous comment is quite correct. They SHOULD have cleaned it up.
    To burn couches down to the frames it must have been quite a fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fire must have happened at night because no one seems to have seen it.

      Delete
  3. That sewer water is so disgusting.
    Surprised only the couches burned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised only the couch burned too.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Mary!

    I wouldn't exactly characterize your neighborhood as "sleepy," but at least there weren't any gunshots to report again this week. However, I don't envy you having to look at a post-apocalyptic landscape when you gaze out your window or walk my buddy Falcor. I doubt that he would do it, but I hope he doesn't start lapping up that slop left over from the sewage leak. It might be my imagination, but it seems like maintenance is on the ball lately, more responsive than before. It's a shame they didn't follow through and sanitize the ground before they left the job site.

    I shudder to think how that couch caught fire. I agree. Someone smoking a pipe might indeed have fallen asleep, started the blaze and narrowly escaped with his or her life. I am so sorry that you encounter such disturbing and unsavory sights on a regular basis.

    I'm also sorry that you experienced another internet outage this week, and happy to see you back online. Take care and have a good week, dear friend Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no gunshots at least. Maintenance has fixed a few things when I called. Thankfully my internet is back and hopefully it's fixed for good now.

      Delete
  5. Safety and Sanitation are being threatened in many appartment complexes these days. It's part of an overall atmosphere prevailing almost everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. That sounds like an unpleasant week.I’m glad your internet is working again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the couch caught fire by a crackhead passing out with a lit pipe, would their drug addled state allow them to even know they're on a bed of fire and they'd have burnt up along with the couch? So probably intentional by someone wanting it and them gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe? I've seen a few of them staggering with their carts down the sidewalk. So one of them could have started the fire and left.

      Delete
  8. We have something called the tent city for the homeless. I learned a lot more about this city, and the fact that some organizations have employeed round the clock volunteers in St paul and minneapolis to help with making sure everyone is okay. Which is helpful in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There definitely needs to be more attention on sanitation especially in the cities. I am happy I live in Utah and not in a big city where things are more clean and we can handle the homeless situation better than many cities where they are everywhere and sanitation isn't a focus as it can increase chances of disease.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess the silver lining is: there's never a dull moment? It's sad.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I always seem to have something to report.

      Delete
  11. That's a pretty yucky sight, goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so sad and scary to see those couches. And ugh - sorry they don't do much more than that about the sewer. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The management here just doesn't care.

      Delete
  13. Wow about the overflow drain. And glad no one was burned up along with the couches. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Setting fire to a couch is pretty pointless. But it might have been an accident as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. They actually fixed it pretty fast compared to the last few times.

      Delete
  16. That whole leaking of raw sewage is so gross. And so unsanitary! I'm sorry you have to deal with that where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too but at least they fixed the problem within 24 hours unlike the last few times.

      Delete
  17. OH MY! Raw sewage overflow... I've never seen anything like that around here. That's good that it was taken care of quickly. And the burned couch - how scary. I hope because no emergency vehicles came out that no one was injured. I hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of anyone being injured which is good.

      Delete
  18. How does a couch catch fire and a wall get blackened and the fire dept wasn't called? Strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably happened in the middle of the night when people were inside and the homeless aren't going to call for that.

      Delete
  19. Leaving raw sewage out is a health code violation! That sucks. Also bummer about no cell/internet service. I hate that when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's scary to see those couches.
    Raw sewage on the ground is a serious health threat.

    Happy Monday, Mary 💐

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is but at least they fixed the problem.

      Delete
  21. Luckily the fire was contained to the couches and didn't spread. The fire dept should have been notified. As for the raw sewage, that is totally disgusting and as Veronica said, it's a health threat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was in the middle of the night when the fire happened and that's why the fire dept wasn't called. No one saw it happening.

      Delete
  22. The sewage leak is disgusting and that's too bad for the homeless that their couch burned up. Lots of people struggle in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Raw sewage is such a safety issue not to mention burning couches!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am glad your internet is back!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sewage on the ground is a health threat, thank goodness the problem was fixed.

    Pleased your internet is back :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wouldn't that raw sewage be against city code? I'd call the health department. 😯

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.