Thursday, January 19, 2023

Low Carb Muffin Mix Review: Simple Mills Banana Muffin & Bread, Chocolate Muffin & Cake, Pumpkin Muffin & Bread

 

I found this variety pack of almond flour muffins on Amazon for $25.89 and since I had never had anything made with almond flour before, I figured I would try this before buying almond flour and everything else I would need to make these kinds of muffins myself. I know the price is kinda high but I was curious if they would be worth it. 


I made the pumpkin muffins first and even though the box says it makes 12, it only made 9 muffins for me. And you can see that they are kinda small muffins at that. I will say that they were good. They are moist, soft and smelled great. But they didn't taste like pumpkin at all, they do however taste like pumpkin spice. This is not to say that they tasted bad because they were actually really good. My grandson loved them too and they are low carb which is good for me. 

Each muffin is 90 calories and 14 grams of carbs.


Next I made the Banana muffins and again, they are soft, moist and tasted great. They don't taste exactly like a banana bread would but it was close. This box of mix made 12 muffins. I loved them and would definitely make these again. 

Each muffin is 90 calories and 14 grams of carbs. 

The chocolate muffins were definitely the best ones of the three. The box of mix made 12 muffins. They have a nice chocolate taste to them and again they are so soft and moist. They were sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth and my daughter liked these while she didn't like the other two. I would definitely make these again. The chocolate muffins were the ones that were the most crumbly too. 

Each muffin is 110 calories and 14 grams of carbs. 

If you buy any of these, the directions say to use paper liners in your muffin tins and I highly recommend that as these stuck to my non stick muffin tins even when I used a cooking spray or a thin coating of oil and flour. The paper liners worked the best. Wait for them to cool completely before trying to pull the paper liners off and they won't stick as much. 

Would you try these? Have you tried anything made with almond flour?

43 comments:

  1. They sound good. I have made almond flour brownies for a friend who is gluten intolerant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like the banana ones, methinks! I love to use different flours, especially red lentil, bean and pumpkin seed flours in savoury muffins and pies and patties and veggie burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't use mixes as my wife prefers to make muffins from scratch. I don't think she's ever used almond flour though. I'll have to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, I don’t eat anything involving almonds due to their high oxolates, but I was glad to read the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked using the almond flour, it can be expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few friends that have to eat gluten-free and I was looking for muffins the other day for a brunch we're doing. Good to know these taste good and are moist. I ended up with a different brand, but I did see this one so I can try it if we end up doing brunch again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good. These were pretty good.

      Delete
  7. These look yummy. I can't say I have eaten any GF baked goods, but these sound like a tasty option

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm allergic to almonds but those chocolate ones look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Well, you can't eat these but they were good.

      Delete
  9. I don't need to be low carb or anything but I do experiment with my baking & low carb/ gluten free because of my MIL. I've been curious about trying this brand too so thanks for the review.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had a lot of good success with almond flour. We usually use Bob's Red Mill brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know that.

      Delete
  11. I would have been pretty unhappy about the mix that only made 9 small muffins. For the others (banana and pumpkin) this is where it would be more beneficial to buy the flour and be abl to adjust the flavors to your own liking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely and I plan on buying the almond flour and other ingredients and making my own now.

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of them before. I've made things with almond flour and liked what I made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those sound good. We've not tried almond floer either!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if there were any stores that have started carrying them. Probably not. But they look so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love chocolate muffins! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't like bananas at all but I have bought the banana bread mix and my husband loved it. We added a chopped up banana and some nuts to the batter which made a difference the second time we made them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These sound delicious! I love banana and chocolate muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've bought this brand before and really liked them. Definitely use the liners they recommend though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They do look good.
    Good tip about using paper liners.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Almond flour is so expensive, but makes the best cookies

    ReplyDelete
  22. These all look delicious! I'd rather pumpkin spice than pumpkin, but still, if the box says pumpkin, it should taste like pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but they were really good. I would make these again for sure.

      Delete
  23. Thanks for reviewing these. They have Simple Mills products on the Thrive Market site I use, but I have never tried their baking mixes because I bought a box of their cookies and they were horrible, ha ha. I'm going to look to see if they have the chocolate muffins, so I can give them a try.

    Look for recipes that say you can use oat flour. I make my own in a coffee grinder. It's super cheap! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ok, I'll have to give that a try too. Thank you.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.