Sunday, March 19, 2023

Apartment Life #358

 
This is a weekly blog post that I'm calling Apartment Hell  Life. I've mentioned a few times some of the crazy things that go on in and around my apartment complex in the past 25 years that we've lived here and people keep telling me I should write a book. But instead of a book, I've decided to share the crazy things that have happened in and around my apartment complex in the last 25 years here in a weekly blog post. 

The pipe right here is the sewage overflow. When the plumbing pipes in a building start to backup and get clogged, the sewage starts coming out of these pipes around the buildings. I called in a work order to let them know it was happening again, because this happens several times a year. They came out the next day and snaked the pipe. Then they came out again the day after that because it was still overflowing. Then again the day after that, they came out again. Three days of raw sewage has been leaking from this pipe and this pipe sits right underneath my bedroom window. 

Looking down at it from my bedroom window. It did finally get fixed but they just left the mess there to dry up and blow away per usual. 

---
Right on the walkway, near where the drug addicts hang out in my apartment complex were 2 needles, one had something in it. At least both were capped. I used a piece of trash to pick them up and throw them in the trash can. 
---

Thursday morning my daughter heard a bunch of yelling outside the bedroom window. So we went and looked and there was a huge fight going on in the courtyard right across the street. They were on the ground actually throwing punches at each other. When they got up, a woman had a broom and hit the tall guy with it. Then another man had a metal stick and hit the tall guy with that. The police showed up really fast and the tall guy walked right by the police officer as he was going to the apartment. 

I took this picture from my bedroom window as you can see I can see the courtyard from my window. The police officer was standing over there talking to some of the people that were involved. When my daughter and I saw the fighting there were at least 7 people involved but they all scattered before the cops got there. 

Then another police officer showed up. One cop went around the building where the people were pointing and I'm guessing telling the cops where the tall guy went. The woman who hit him with the broom handle had been yelling at him to give her back her stuff. Who knows what he took but she wanted it back bad enough to hit him for it. 

One cop left soon after and the other officer got paperwork out of his trunk for them to fill out but no one was arrested. Which I'm completely surprised about since two people assaulted tall guy with sticks. The police left a little while later. 
---

The high this week was 68F/20C
The low this week was 46F/7C

So that's it for this week's Apartment Hell  Life! Be sure to come back next week for more.

54 comments:

  1. The sewage being left uncleaned (and taking so long to fix the pipe at all) are a real health hazard. Surely the management is in violation of some city code for being so lackadaisical about it. They're literally treating the tenants like shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably are. They have been fined before and they don't care. They just pay the fine.

      Delete
  2. I was going to say the same thing about the sewage. Call the county health department. That's ridiculous and I'm so sorry you have to deal with it.

    I'm surprised the police even showed up for the fight after all the things they've ignored!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The health department has been out here before but they just pay the fine and nothing changes.

      Delete
  3. That there is a place for sewage to come out is disgusting enough.
    You guys need an On Patrol Live crew there. They would've gotten dogs and gone after the fighters. (Yeah, I watch that show a lot.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check it out. It would be nice to have someone who can help at times like this.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Mary!

    When you look out your apartment windows, you should not have to see leaked sewage, drug needles and neighbors engaged in hand-to-hand combat. I remember the previous instances of sewage leaks that you have reported, and finding drug paraphernalia littering the sidewalk is also nothing new in your hood. It seems like it takes an awful lot for the cops to make an arrest. Maybe the tall guy is the phantom who steals delivered packages from people's doorsteps.

    I wish you, your daughter and my buddy Falcor a safe and happy week ahead, dear friend Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I shouldn't, but we do. I don't know why they weren't arrested.

      Delete
  5. It's about time they fixed the sewage overflow for good instead of repeatedly doing a temporary quick-fix that lasts a few months (or days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they will ever fix this.

      Delete
  6. That’s disgusting about the sewage AND the needles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sucks about the pipes. I called maintenence about water dripping from under the sink and I need to keep my eye on it because it seems to happen a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hell for sure. But the sun rises

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who pays for fixing the sewage overflow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner of the apartment complex does.

      Delete
  10. Everybody seems to have given up around there - maintenance, police, you name it. They barely fix anything at this point. That's beyond sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Though when I have talked to the police about it. They say they are patrolling more and trying to fix the problems around here.

      Delete
  11. That's why I don't understand people who are against a safe space for needle disposal. Better there than on a sidewalk or a playground

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There are so many kids around here, I'm glad I found them first.

      Delete
  12. I am glad that the needles were capped, but sad that you have to endure this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "left the mess there" Wow. And the fight. a metal pipe? Good grief. I'm surprised no one got arrested either but they were all probably like "no big deal man" lol. Still, 7 people- that's a brawl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sewage and needles ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's ridiculous that we have to deal with this.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like lame people are in charge of fixing the problems with leaked sewage. I wonder if it were outside their windows would they want it cleaned up. They are pathetic. Hopefully things will get better but I doubt it. Try and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it too but I will try to have a good week.

      Delete
  16. Inhaling the smell of sewage can't be healthy for you, so management should be worried about toxic liability ala Erin Brockovich.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm happy they fixed the pipe! Sorry you've had to deal with that Mary! Hope you have a nicer smelling week ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh - so sorry you have been having to deal with the sewage and the drug situation isn't getting any better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sewage is awful, yuck. I'm sure the police get tired of arresting people and having them get right back out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We had septic issue before. No fun!
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes. That sewage issue sounds really gross. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Horrible to hear. Sorry you have to deal with all this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is funny when you think that you've lived a quarter of a century there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we first moved here, it was a nice neighborhood.

      Delete
  24. Never a dull moment in your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  25. UGH... dealing with sewage backup right under your window is awful. At least the management company comes right away, but that was days. Is it getting worse each episode? I hope it doesn't seep into your apartment.

    Good for you for cleaning up the drug mess. It's scary to think a kid or animal could have come across it.

    Sending love. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did come and clean it up yesterday after it rained and washed most of it away. At least the pipe is fixed now for a while. It doesn't seep into my apartment, it runs off into the dirt, sidewalk and then the street.

      Delete
  26. Honestly, I don't know how you live with all of that crap happening there. And we're all upset over a Walmart closing in our neighborhood because of theft, but it sounds like your neighborhood would put ours to shame where crime is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a gradual increase of more and more crime and drama around here over the years. I think I've just gotten used to it.

      Delete
  27. You'd think sewage overflow outlets would have to be farther away from the buildings. 😕

    I hate it when people start fighting outside because you never know when someone mighthave agun. 😐

    Stay safe. 😒

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sewage overflow for all the buildings is at the end of most of the buildings. This one just happens to be in the middle of mine.

      Delete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.