Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Book Review: Caught By the Dark by Alexa Michaels

 

Book Description

At Blackwater Manor, there's only one rule: Stay inside after sunset.

No matter what noises you hear. No matter how the beast beckons. No matter how tempting his offer.

It should be simple. Stay indoors.

Of course, I’m not always the best listener.

Especially when I see myself out there. It would be ungrateful to ignore Fate’s visions. I’m psychic after all, and breaking the rules to explore my visions is what I do best.

Besides...I'm drawn to the beast lurking in the dark. Others might see him as a monstrous being. But to me, he's been nothing but protective, caring, and maybe a little sweet. Although he'd never admit it. Neither will his other half, the man I'm fake mated to when the sunshine is out.

If I'm going to break the curse, save both man and beast, it's time to venture outside and let the dark catch me!

A spicy, fake-relationship tale, this stand-alone paranormal romance raises the question: what prowls through the shadows? If you like a fearsome, growling hero, a sharp, witty leading-lady, and a beauty & the beast style romance, then grab a copy and snuggle up with Caught By The Dark today!



My Review

Addi is a psychic so when Miro's brother, the pack alpha comes through her bedroom window to kidnap her to help his brother, she's already packed and ready to go. I found the banter between Addi and the alpha so funny because he thought she would be putting up a fight but all he had to do was ask, she was ready and willing to help. 

Miro is a wolf shifter but he was cursed over a century ago so his wolf is a bloodthirsty killer. Miro's two halves can talk to each other when the other is in control but they mostly just yell and talk down to each other.  At night his beast is in control and during the day Miro's human half is in charge. Miro is not able to leave his land at night when the beast is in control because the beast has no problem killing anyone. 

Miro's brother finds Addi and brings her back to Miro's house because they all think she is the key to breaking the curse. Since she is psychic, she's seen herself helping but Miro has some rules. He wants her to stay in the house and away from the beast at night. He can't get into the house because of magic so she's safe as long as she stays inside. Miro cannot control the beast and is scared he will kill her but when they meet, he's sarcastic and threatening because he doesn't want the curse broken obviously but he doesn't hurt her. Seeing Addi and the beast together made me smile more than once. 

This book has elements of Beauty and the Beast as well as Jekyll and Hyde and kept me engaged right from the very beginning. Addi is funny, strong and sometimes reckless but I loved that about her. Miro is strong, so alpha and scared of his other half until they start working together to make sure that Addi is safe. I love a Beauty and the Beast retelling so seeing his other half as a real beast to be scared of was fun because you never knew what to expect from him. 

Breaking the curse is not the only thing that's going on, there's also someone trying to cause problems and causes there to be more danger brought to their doorstep as well as someone else trying to bring Miro down. I loved the mystery surrounding all of this. This ended up being one of the best wolf shifter stories I've read this year. I absolutely recommend this book if you like this kind of story. 

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. 


2 comments:

  1. What a scary cover, hope you did not keep it on your night stand LOL

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.