Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Book Review: Beautiful Lies: Specimen-One book #2 by Ever Nightly

 

Book Description

I’ve been kidnapped, and I’m completely alone. Area 51 has been destroyed, and S1 is gone. I’m left to sift through the pieces of what happened, and figure out how I’m going to survive. But as I dig deeper into the government’s secrets, one thing becomes abundantly clear...

Nothing is what it seems.


My Review

This book picks up where Beautiful Thing left off. If you want to read my review for that one just click on that title. That one ended on a cliffhanger and even though I liked the premise of the book and the writing, I hate cliffhangers. But then I saw that book 2 was free on Amazon and decided to go ahead and get it. I mean, it surely won't end on another cliffhanger, will it? Yes, it does. This book is only 136 pages, the first one was 236 pages and the third book is 156 pages. Why not just consolidate this trilogy into two books that have real endings? Either way I read this one and again, I liked the story, the writing and the characters. It kills me that it ends on another cliffhanger. 

Ava is locked in the lab and she's pregnant. The head scientist wants to keep her and then use her child who is half alien to run experiments on. But not everyone there at this facility thinks what the doctor is doing is right and he tries to help Ava as much as he can. She thinks that S1, the baby's father is dead, and there's another group of people who work there that want her to just abort the baby because it's half alien and they see it as an abomination. 

When she's kidnapped from the facility by the other group, she knows that she and her unborn child are in even more danger. But like I said, this one ends in a cliffhanger as well. I wouldn't have even bothered with this one if it hadn't been free. I thought maybe it would be a full book with a real ending and if that had happened I might of bought the 3rd and last book. But I'm done. 

I give this book 2 out of 5 stars. 

26 comments:

  1. That seems really manipulative. I would be done too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch and you're very generous with your reviews so this one really must have stunk. Thanks Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man this is disappointing. I have super picky about the books I pick up as freebies as most of the time they aren't that great unless its an author I trust. Hope your next read is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be more picky with the freebies too from now on.

      Delete
  4. If the authors would state up front they're writing a serial story across 'x' amount of books or at if they aren't sure at least indicate it's going that direction, that would let people know what to expect. But, a surprise of ongoing cliffhangers with no idea when one will get a complete series arc gets frustrating. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should have to say it ends in a cliffhanger in the blurb.

      Delete
  5. Another cliffhanger?! That's frustrating. It sounds like the author could have put books 2 and 3 together because they're both pretty short.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, that's two twofurs, not that good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it disappointed

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd be upset. I wouldn't read her again after this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm sorry it wasn't more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes you just have to walk away from a disappointment. I'd probably pass on the next book too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's too bad how they broke it up like that. The cover is lovely, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH NO! 2 cliffhangers? Even though it looks interesting, I will pass. I am getting very frustrated with how some of these books are done and trying to be better at choosing them.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete

This is an Award-Free blog. It is a lovely gesture, but I am unable to comply with the terms of the awards so I have made this an Award-Free blog. Thank You for understanding.